Paula García Aviñó Paula García Aviñó
Author:
EASD València
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The 8th edition of the New Talents Award by Klimt02 aims to recognize the work of graduate students in our field by supporting their careers in the professional world. Nominated by our school members, one of the selected graduates will win the New Talents Award.

The objective of this project is to create a collection of author jewellery innovating in the treatment of PET plastic.
Name of graduation student: Paula García Aviñó
Name of guiding teacher: Kepa Karmona Rico, Ana García San Miguel and Mercedes Eslava Ferré

Nominated by EASD València

"Envolvente" is an exemplary project in which beauty, irony, material research, environmental commitment and professionalism in the jewellery practice are mixed. Paula García Aviñó has gratefully surprised us all both with her perseverance in finding the ideal solutions and finishes and with the delicacy in her execution.
/ Ángela Bermúdez, Final Degree Proyect Jury Member

The statement of the artist:
My project is titled "Envolvente" (Surrounder). I have named this project after the material used to conceive it, a material that surrounds us in excess. To carry out the project, I proposed the creation of a series of pieces made out of upcycled PET plastic and silver. The main material used in this project will be plastic from water bottles I’ve collected from friends and family, giving a second life to the material these liquid containers are made of, turning them into contemporary jewellery.
In order to produce the jewels, I carried out a series of tests with PET plastic, experimenting with textures and altering the material to obtain different results. After a process of selection, I have chosen one of the results with which I have developed the creative process.
On the other hand, I have brainstormed and created a mood board with images of marine flora and fauna, as well as images of water, to serve as a guide throughout the project. After analysing them, I found a connection between PET, water, the sea, nature and pollution, as the sea is the place where most plastic products end up due to meteorological agents, and led me to imagine and design the shapes that later on, became the final pieces of jewellery.
The objective of this project is to create a collection of author jewellery innovating in the treatment of PET plastic.

The specific objectives are:
● Arouse curiosity about the use of an alternative material
● Raise plastic to the level of the jewellery.
● To show how ironic is to turn something often seen as trash into fine jewellery.

As a new contribution, I have experimented with the treatment of PET plastic, creating a unique appearance due to the new way of treating it.
I have investigated my referents and looked for jewellery made with PET plastic to see how they incorporate this material into the pieces of jewellery already on the market. After this process, I worked on my designs differentiating myself from the artists who already carry out their projects with polyethene terephthalate.
The colours, brightness, transparency and texture of the treated PET plastic are associated with water. The use of different shades of blue gives a sense of depth, the same we see when looking through water from above. We link light blue tones with tranquillity, serenity and lightness.
The metallic parts of the pieces are the support/base structure of the plastic. This part has an organic form inspired by corals. The sandblasted finish evokes the materials eroded by the action of the waves of the sea and the silica that the sand contains.
This collection plays with the balance between classic jewellery, due to its shapes and aesthetics, and contemporary jewellery by using unconventional materials and techniques.

Phone: 648513984
E-Mail: paulagarciaavinyo@gmail.com

Find out more about EASD València
Paula García Aviñó. Necklace: Envolvente, 2022. Silver 925, PET plastic.. 24.4 x 22.5 cm. Paula García Aviñó
Necklace: Envolvente, 2022
Silver 925, PET plastic.
24.4 x 22.5 cm
Paula García Aviñó. Earrings: Envolvente 01, 2022. Silver, Plastic. 8.7 x 4.8 cm. Silver 925, PET plastic.. Paula García Aviñó
Earrings: Envolvente 01, 2022
Silver, Plastic
8.7 x 4.8 cm
Silver 925, PET plastic.
Paula García Aviñó. Earrings: Envolvente 02, 2022. Silver 925, PET plastic.. 5.7 x 2.5 cm. Paula García Aviñó
Earrings: Envolvente 02, 2022
Silver 925, PET plastic.
5.7 x 2.5 cm
Paula García Aviñó. Earrings: Envolvente 03, 2022. Silver 925, PET plastic.. 1.3 x 1.3 cm. Paula García Aviñó
Earrings: Envolvente 03, 2022
Silver 925, PET plastic.
1.3 x 1.3 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE