Pilvi Tammoja Pilvi Tammoja
Author:
Estonian Academy of Arts
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The 8th edition of the New Talents Award by Klimt02 aims to recognize the work of graduate students in our field by supporting their careers in the professional world. Nominated by our school members, one of the selected graduates will win the New Talents Award.

Pilvi Tammoja's strength is to create complete world models, in addition to charming individual objects, that not only cover you as jewellery, but absorb you.
Name of graduation student: Pilvi Tammoja
Name of guiding teacher: Urmas Lüüs, Erinn M. Cox

Nominated by Estonian Academy of Arts
Pilvi belongs to the piles of lace and trimmings. It has been characteristic of her in the past and probably will not be avoided in the future. Found objects, spools of thread, pincushions, balls of yarn, scraps of fabrics, make-up kits, heirlooms and endless other mundane and less mundane things float chaotically. She has shaped them into an alternative world where there is an irresistibly sweet fear of getting lost. Pilvi has brought together an interest in heritage, burlesque, subcultures, and dystopian literature and mixed it with her previous experiences in fashion. Her strength is to create complete world models, in addition to charming individual objects, that not only cover you as jewellery, but absorb you. The world she has created is a theatrical installation that can be re-staged in ever new combinations.
/ Urmas Lüüs

The statement of the artist:
I think about my ancestors a lot. I am shadowed by the steps of my grandmother. I reflect on the feeling of the impact of eternity and the longing for connection that goes hand in hand with my work. My grandmother once said, “We live as long as there are people who remember us.” One day, when there are no more people or relatives who remember, only the remaining items can tell our stories. One day these are the objects that will tell mine.
The objects I make are interpretations of real and imagined memories. Visions of possible pasts and futures. Factual accuracy and authenticity are overshadowed by the haunting images of distorted reality. These ghostly dreams are looking for a way out of my mind. I give thoughts and memories a tangible shape, using objects and materials discarded by other people. I study the stories that these objects contain, create alternative narratives for them and add them to my world.
As a creator, I am like the Nordic white night, when anything is possible; when a creator conjures the main character I call the Bride. At first, her name was just a placeholder, but with time it grew on me. I tell her story and depict her journey through an imaginary world I call Decaeon.
A combination of two words: decay+eon is a moment between the living and the dead where it is possible to conjure up the present, the past and the future. If longing is a hopeless (both sweet and painful), immeasurable, and infinite eternity, then the Decaeon is obtained by adding to this emotion the process of decay. Here I have dreamt and mourned. I have wandered the paths of the horrors of days long gone and searched for my ancestors, constantly glancing over my shoulder in fear. All of this is expressed in my work.  
How would the world sound if the voices of the forsaken were amplified?

Phone: +372 59 81 92 27
Email: pilvi.tammoja@gmail.com; pilvi.tammoja@artun.ee

Find out more about Estonian Academy of Arts

Pilvi Tammoja. Head Piece: All Girls Glitter in the Dark, 2022. Pilvi Tammoja
Head Piece: All Girls Glitter in the Dark, 2022
Pilvi Tammoja. Piece: If Your Fingers aren’t Bleeding You Haven’t Done Enough Work, 2022. Glove. Pilvi Tammoja
Piece: If Your Fingers aren’t Bleeding You Haven’t Done Enough Work, 2022
Glove

Pilvi Tammoja
. Exhibition Room: I Shall Not Perish In This Decaeon of Yours.
Pilvi Tammoja
Exhibition Room: I Shall Not Perish In This Decaeon of Yours

Appreciate APPRECIATE