Back

Ruby von Wiese. Universiteit Stellenbosch University. New Talents Award Nominee 2024

Article  /  NewTalentsByKlimt02   Artists
Published: 14.10.2024
Ruby von Wiese Ruby von Wiese
Author:
Universiteit Stellenbosch University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The 9th edition of the New Talents Award by Klimt02 aims to recognize the work of graduate students in our field by supporting their careers in the professional world. Nominated by our school members, one of the selected graduates will win the New Talents Award.

Ruby’s approach, inspired by thinkers like Merlin Sheldrake and Donna Haraway, challenges anthropocentric worldviews and introduces a post-humanistic perspective that highlights the interdependence of all living things. By using fungi both as a material and a conceptual muse, she bridges the gap between art and science, encouraging wearers of her jewellery to reflect on ecological balance and sustainability.
Name of graduation student: Ruby von Wiese
Name of guiding teachers: Carine Terreblanche, Mariambibi Khan, Joani Groenewald.

Nominated by Universiteit Stellenbosch University​.

It is my pleasure to speak about Ruby von Wiese’s research, which is both timely and deeply innovative. Ruby’s work explores the intersection of contemporary jewellery design, environmental sustainability, and the connections between humans and non-human entities—particularly fungi. Through her practice-based research, Ruby skillfully brings together the art of jewellery-making with a scientific exploration of the fungal kingdom, creating pieces that do far more than adorn; they invite critical reflection on our relationship with the natural world.

Ruby’s approach, inspired by thinkers like Merlin Sheldrake and Donna Haraway, challenges anthropocentric worldviews and introduces a post-humanistic perspective that highlights the interdependence of all living things. By using fungi both as a material and a conceptual muse, she bridges the gap between art and science, encouraging wearers of her jewellery to reflect on ecological balance and sustainability.

Her work not only embodies beauty and creativity but also serves as a call to action for greater environmental consciousness, fostering a deeper connection between humans and the ecosystems we inhabit. Ruby’s dedication to this cause is clear in every piece she creates, offering us a powerful narrative about the interconnectedness of life and our responsibility to nurture it.

/ Joani Groenewald

Statement by the artist:
My research explores the intersection of contemporary jewellery, environmental sustainability, and the intricate connections between humans and non-human entities, particularly fungi. Fungi play an essential role in ecosystems—facilitating nutrient cycling, supporting plant growth, and influencing human culture. Guided by Merlin Sheldrake’s exploration of their transformative potential (2021), I investigate these organisms' critical functions to challenge anthropocentric views and promote a more holistic understanding of our planet.

Through practice-based research, I gather, identify, dry, and examine various fungi species. This knowledge informs my jewellery designs, creating a narrative that bridges art, science, and nature. The forms, textures, and colours in my work are inspired by the fungal kingdom, using fungi both as material and muse. The resulting pieces not only serve as adornment but also invite wearers to reflect on the interconnectedness of all life and reconsider their relationship with the environment.

The core philosophy of my research is influenced by post-humanistic thinking, as described by Donna Haraway (2016), which emphasises the interdependence of all life forms. By integrating fungi into jewellery design, I aim to foster a deeper connection with nature and encourage a collective commitment to sustainability. Wearing these pieces embodies a shift from anthropocentric perspectives to an eco-conscious mindset, motivating reflection on our environmental impact and our ties to the natural world.

Art and science converge in my work, where creativity and curiosity intersect to address complex issues. This collaboration between artists and scientists fosters a richer understanding of the natural world and its non-human inhabitants. My jewellery serves as a physical representation of these concepts, encouraging transformative change and a renewed appreciation for the non-human world.

Ultimately, fungi are vital for environmental sustainability, participating in decomposition, symbiotic relationships, and bioremediation. Addressing global environmental challenges requires an engagement with these organisms to develop an ethical, eco-conscious connection with nature. By fostering this understanding, my research aims to inspire responsible use of resources and offer a fresh perspective on our place in the world.

Email: rubyelizabeth11@gmail.com

Find out more about Universiteit Stellenbosch University​

Ruby von Wiese. Neckpiece: Decomposition II, 2023. Copper, cubic zirconia, mohair, oyster mushroom. ø 10 cm. Ruby von Wiese
Neckpiece: Decomposition II, 2023
Copper, cubic zirconia, mohair, oyster mushroom
ø 10 cm
Ruby von Wiese. Neckpiece: Symbiosis, 2023. Silver, resin, dried fungi, lichen, leather, lemon quartz . 4 x 4.5 x 2 cm. Ruby von Wiese
Neckpiece: Symbiosis, 2023
Silver, resin, dried fungi, lichen, leather, lemon quartz 
4 x 4.5 x 2 cm
Ruby von Wiese. Neckpiece: Decomposition I, 2023. Dried fungi, copper, rutile quartz, mohair. 7 x 5.5 x 1.4 cm. Ruby von Wiese
Neckpiece: Decomposition I, 2023
Dried fungi, copper, rutile quartz, mohair
7 x 5.5 x 1.4 cm
Ruby von Wiese. Brooch: Russula, 2023. Silver, biodegradable plastic, steel, paint. 3.5 x 4.5 x 6 cm. Ruby von Wiese
Brooch: Russula, 2023
Silver, biodegradable plastic, steel, paint
3.5 x 4.5 x 6 cm
Ruby von Wiese. Neckpiece: Decay, 2023. Silver, leather, wood, dried fungi. 14 x 3 x 2 cm. Ruby von Wiese
Neckpiece: Decay, 2023
Silver, leather, wood, dried fungi
14 x 3 x 2 cm
Ruby von Wiese. Neckpiece: Lichen Whispers, 2023. Resin, silver, suede cord, dried lichen and fungi. 2 x 4 x 50 cm. Ruby von Wiese
Neckpiece: Lichen Whispers, 2023
Resin, silver, suede cord, dried lichen and fungi
2 x 4 x 50 cm