Back
Goldschmitte.
British Academy of Jewellery.
Goldmuseum Taipei - Metal Crafts Competition 2018.

Sam Lane. University for the Creative Arts. Selected Graduate 2017

Article  /  Artists   Selected Graduate 2017
Published: 23.06.2017
Sam Lane Sam Lane
Author:
University for the Creative Arts
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Sam’s work tells a story about tactility, colour and wearability. It’s fabricated using a range of yarns, threads and textile materials, some of Sam’s own making, and all of the work is crocheted. It engages our senses by using innovative reflective fabrics, fluffy wool and carefully sewn on beads and by including secret internal materials that surprise us when we handle the work; by it’s weight, movement or sound!

Sam wants his audience to discover all these qualities, to play with the work and to find new ways of combining individual pieces together in order to make a playful ornament that might only exist momentarily before the next one is created. / Lina Peterson. Senior Lecturer, BA (Hons) Contemporary Jewellery, University for the Creative Arts, Rochester, UK

University for the Creative Arts, Rochester, UK.

The essence of my practice derives from play and results in soft, wearable artworks that can be interacted with and/or worn. I refer to myself as a play artist, who makes play-objects and play-adornments that lie between the realms of participatory art and contemporary jewellery. I'm also a fiber artist: specializing in textile techniques such as crochet, knitting and hand stitching.

For me it is essential that play is immediate and made evident from what is ostensibly the more overt qualities of play-objects: through juxtaposing blocks of contrasting colours and by creating bizarre forms with playful material combinations in order to produce eccentric and quirky play-objects.

My practice focuses on making play achievable by inviting the audience of my artworks to partake in experiential play-events. This involves creating silly, strange, absurd and playful unconventional adornments which encourage acts of superfluity and invites the audience to play 'dress up'. The process of 'dressing up' and momentarily adorning yourself with a play-adornment relates back to childhood-play: inviting the audience to adorn an identity of play and adapt to a new play-role.

The driving force towards play and pleasure derives from curiosity and the thirst for knowledge/discovery. Through crafting un-relatable objects without a clear nexus, by using unconventional material combinations and by strategically positioning unexpected materials hidden from view, my play-artworks attempt to evoke curiosity and encourages the traditional viewer of artworks to participate in a more rewarding experiential encounter. / Sam Lane

More works and contact:
https://www.playart.co.uk
Instagram: @samlanejewellery

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to University for the Creative Arts.

Sam Lane. Object: Connect, 2017. Various wool, plastic beads, holographic fabric, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. Sam Lane
Object: Connect, 2017
Various wool, plastic beads, holographic fabric, stuffing materials.
Photo by: Sam Lane
From series: Dress-up
Sam Lane. Necklace: Connect, 2017. Various wool, plastic beads, holographic fabric, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. Sam Lane
Necklace: Connect, 2017
Sam Lane. Neckpiece: Connect, 2017. Various wool, plastic beads, holographic fabric, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. Sam Lane
Neckpiece: Connect, 2017
Sam Lane. Bangle: Connect, 2017. Various wool, plastic beads, holographic fabric, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. Sam Lane
Bangle: Connect, 2017
Sam Lane. Object: Connect, 2017. Various wool, plastic beads, holographic fabric, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. Sam Lane
Object: Connect, 2017
Sam Lane. Object: Corn on the cob, 2017. Wool, plastic beads, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. Sam Lane
Object: Corn on the cob, 2017
Wool, plastic beads, stuffing materials.
Sam Lane. Object: Dress-up pieces, 2017. Various wool, embellishments, fabric, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. Sam Lane
Object: Dress-up pieces, 2017
Various wool, embellishments, fabric, stuffing materials.
Sam Lane. Neckpiece: Superfluous, 2017. Various wool, fabric, embellishments, plastic beads, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. Sam Lane
Neckpiece: Superfluous, 2017
Various wool, fabric, embellishments, plastic beads, stuffing materials.
Sam Lane. Neckpiece: Superfluous, 2017. Various wool, fabric, embellishments, plastic beads, stuffing materials.. Photo by: Sam Lane. From series: Dress-up. On Model. Sam Lane
Neckpiece: Superfluous, 2017
Various wool, fabric, embellishments, plastic beads, stuffing materials.

On Model

Appreciate APPRECIATE