Sanna Wallgren Sanna Wallgren
Author:
HDK. Academy of Design and Crafts
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Sanna Wallgren has during her studies at HDK explored, tried out and experimented with materials and ideas to find her way in the jewelery field. Often the investigation has been focused on topics like body, disease and decay, and her own experience of and in her own body. In her degree project "Hole" she use the repetition, like a mantra, to guide her further. She perforates, dissolves, and the shape becomes a shell, shield or perhaps a filter. Breath in, breath out. When worn and in the meeting with the physical body, the jewel becomes both a protection inward and an embrace outward. The graduate work by Sanna is brave, strong and very personal.
/ Professor Karin Johansson

HDK. Academy of Design and Crafts, Gothenburg, Sweden.

HOLE
My work is about being a body. About fear of illness and decay. It is approaching the inner experiences, thoughts, feelings and the subconscious. An attempt to capture a diffused state of balancing between realism and fantasy. It's about the abstract, surreal and even scary mind set you can end up in, trying to grasp a difficult situation. A destructive circle of denial and escaping the reality. We all have our ways to handle or process what scares us about existing. The imagination may be my way, I let it be my way.
Through my jewelry, I want to reflect the body as an abstract, unspecified shape against the pressure, tension and vulnerability it means to be a body in the surrounding society. The objects become like a shell of something that has been, like the void that remained. Or a protection between me and reality. A filter, a fantasy. As a part of the body, but is it human?

I see my jewelry as a filter, though it I see the world differently. My fears of illness and the decay of the body switches into becoming something else. By drilling thousands of holes in silhouettes inspired by the inside of the body, I create a material that can be experienced almost as if it breathes. It goes beyond the obvious and becomes a mutation of the body, which allows the inner world to meet the outer. I want to fictionalize the reality and distort it in a playful way. An uncanny-sci-fi body. A conscious misinterpretation of reality.

/ Sanna Wallgren

More work and contacts:
Instagram: sannawallgrenjewelry
Email: sanna.m.wallgren@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to HDK. Academy of Design and Crafts.

Sanna Wallgren. Neckpiece: 29016, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string, plastic tube.. 60 x 23 cm. Sanna Wallgren
Neckpiece: 29016, 2018
Anodized aluminium, nylon string, plastic tube.
60 x 23 cm
Sanna Wallgren. Neckpiece: 29016, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string, plastic tube.. 60 x 23 cm. On body. Sanna Wallgren
Neckpiece: 29016, 2018
Anodized aluminium, nylon string, plastic tube.
60 x 23 cm

On body

Sanna Wallgren. Neckpiece: Pulmo, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string.. 50 x 14 cm. Sanna Wallgren
Neckpiece: Pulmo, 2018
Anodized aluminium, nylon string.
50 x 14 cm
Sanna Wallgren. Object: Cutis, 2018. Anodized aluminium.. 30 x 16 cm. Sanna Wallgren
Object: Cutis, 2018
Anodized aluminium.
30 x 16 cm
Sanna Wallgren. Neckpiece: Teats, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string.. 65 x 20 cm. Sanna Wallgren
Neckpiece: Teats, 2018
65 x 20 cm
Sanna Wallgren. Neckpiece: Teats, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string.. 65 x 20 cm. On body. Sanna Wallgren
65 x 20 cm

On body

Sanna Wallgren. Neckpiece: Teats, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string.. 65 x 20 cm. On body. Sanna Wallgren
65 x 20 cm

On body

Sanna Wallgren. Neckpiece: Rabbit Hole, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string.. 50 x 18 cm. Sanna Wallgren
Neckpiece: Rabbit Hole, 2018
50 x 18 cm
Sanna Wallgren. Neckpiece: Rabbit Hole, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string.. 50 x 18 cm. On body. Sanna Wallgren
Neckpiece: Rabbit Hole, 2018
50 x 18 cm

On body

Sanna Wallgren. Brooch: Exo Exo, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string.. 20 x 12 cm. Sanna Wallgren
Brooch: Exo Exo, 2018
20 x 12 cm
Sanna Wallgren. Brooch: Exo Exo, 2018. Anodized aluminium, nylon string.. 20 x 12 cm. On body. Sanna Wallgren
Brooch: Exo Exo, 2018
20 x 12 cm

On body

Appreciate APPRECIATE