Sonia PIbernat Sonia PIbernat
Author:
Hochschule Trier
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Her experience as a professional jeweller enables her to execute her work in a robust quality that provides a durability and at the same time supports the main feature of the work: lightness - both in weight and appearance. These qualities make the encounter with Sonia Pibernat's jewels an experience that invites, even seduces, each one to wearing. Adorned with these pieces the wearer will obtain special pleasure: One feels as light and immaterial as in a tender dance. And – for those who observe this joy of the wearer – a delightful sense of harmony is displayed; Not only within the jewel, but also between the wearer and the jewel: a graceful image of tender movement remains - long after the wearer has moved on...
Prof. Theo Smeets

Hochschule Trier , Idar-Oberstein, Germany.

Sonia Pibernat graduated in 2018 as "Master of Fine Arts" in Continuing Education. This program enables talented and experienced professionals without academic training to enter directly into the academic Master's level. The course is based on an individual project proposal of the candidate, which will be the focus of the program for 2 years. This Master's programme is conducted in English.
Sonia Pibernat started her studies in the winter semester of 2015. Her proposal for the study focused on "harmony" - a seemingly simple topic. After almost 9 months of study on this topic and the discovery that harmony in work cannot be achieved without harmony in body and soul of the manufacturer, an interesting new focus arose: movement. This led via a collaboration with a dancer to an exploration of flowing movements – as inspiration and means to create a series of works based on "dance".

Also an exchange semester in France at HEAD, Strasbourg, in the textile field has further expanded the spectrum of Sonia Pibernat. In her final works, she now presents an exquisite body of work that combines all elements of her research: fluent, flowing lines and a great sense of form, in the sense of an understanding of space - here we see the exploration of dance patterns and movements. But also a delicate combination of metal and textile - here, too, a wonderful "flow" is created, as we can usually combine it with e.g. silk drapery or classical curtains and robes. Pibernat’s master thesis "Bodies in Motion - Immaterial Lines" presents an excellent and wearable collection with a high capacity to trigger emotional moments while wearing.
/ Prof. Theo Smeets

Bodies in Motion – Immaterial Lines

Make jewellery sometimes implies to work on small-scale objects and sitting for hours on a working bench. My intention with this project was to jump from my comfort zone to explore another way of working.
My starting point was the exploration of my own body movements, combining them with materials such as paper and fabric. Experimenting with movements in different spaces allowed me to open my mind during the process of making. I started working on a bigger scale, creating volume out of paper using my body as a medium and filling the spaces that surround me with these pieces in order to experience the effect the pieces would have on me.
This process has made me aware of the importance of body language and how we communicate with other human beings by unconsciously sending messages through our bodies.
The main question was; how could I materialize body movements into objects?
Photography and life-drawings have become tools that help me to catch the spontaneity of a movement. Through them, I was able to materialize the imaginary lines that a body in motion draws in the space. The results have become the basis on which to create my objects and my final pieces.
Taking a break from the goldsmithing and learning new techniques such as weaving and knitting, has allowed me to approach the work with metal from another direction and to be able to find new solutions by combining the metal with the textile. I have dug deeper into my exploration of the line as a way to express movement and, I could say, that this element has become very relevant in my work.
Weaving allows me to draw at the same time as I am creating the surface. A surface that sometimes can be transformed into the volume.
There is a quality that is present in all of my pieces; fragility.
The forms I have created can easily be changed by a spontaneous movement of the wearer. So, in a certain way, the fact that it can happen makes the wearer more aware of the piece that he or she is wearing and also more aware of the movements he or she should perform.
/ Sonia Pibernat

More work and contacts:
Email: soniapibernat@gmail.com
Instagram: Sonia Pibernat

Find out more about the courses at: Hochschule Trier.

Sonia Pibernat. Pendant: Drawing Movement, 2018. Silver, steel.. 75 x 11 x 14 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashrafi. Sonia Pibernat
Pendant: Drawing Movement, 2018
Silver, steel.
75 x 11 x 14 cm
Photo by: Nima Ashrafi
Sonia Pibernat. Brooch: Drawing Movement, 2018. Silver. 8 x 8 x 5 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashrafi. Sonia Pibernat
Brooch: Drawing Movement, 2018
Silver
8 x 8 x 5 cm
Sonia Pibernat. Necklace: Linked Line, 2018. Wool, silver, painted copper.. 60 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashrafi. Sonia Pibernat
Necklace: Linked Line, 2018
Wool, silver, painted copper.
60 cm
Sonia Pibernat. Necklace: Narrative	Necklace, 2018. Cotton, silver.. 80 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashrafi. Sonia Pibernat
Necklace: Narrative Necklace, 2018
Cotton, silver.
80 cm
Sonia Pibernat. Necklace: Untitled, 2018. Wool, silver, painted copper.. 64 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashrafi. Sonia Pibernat
Necklace: Untitled, 2018
Wool, silver, painted copper.
64 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE