Sophia De Groot Sophia De Groot
Author:
Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. Artesis Plantijn University College
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Sophia De Groot. Bracelet: Interlinked, 2019. Stainless steel.. Photo by: Casper Fitzhue. From series: Interlinked. Sophia De Groot
Bracelet: Interlinked, 2019
Stainless steel.
Photo by: Casper Fitzhue
From series: Interlinked
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
In her research, Sophia is exploring movement within the limitation of one material and it’s possibilities within one autonomous piece. She is searching for a way to create fluidity in one continuous shape. One form of jewellery that embodies these properties is chain.
In her work she considers the links of a chain and the way they are connected as a thing-in-itself and not just as a support for other jewellery; the chain and it’s repetitive connection as the main subject in her jewellery pieces.
/ Nedda El-Asmar
Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. Artesis Plantijn University College, Antwerp, Belgium.

Interlinked

The human body is always in motion; walking, dancing, breathing and even when we try to be as still as possible, the tiniest movements are made. Jewellery is affected by the movement of the wearer and vice versa.
The chain is a universal ornament, which has travelled through the history of jewellery, materials and techniques; from distant cultures in Mesopotamia to recent countercultures of the 70’s worn by all genders.
I am a digital craftsman who unites technology, craftmanship and art by creating unique combinations of chain pieces. In my designs, I cross multiple disciplines by making 3D printed stainless steel links, assembling them in a repetitive way by hand and later on connecting them by laser welding. Every piece starts with one little element and together becomes a whole.
My research brought me to an interesting discovery. With every project you do, you will face a couple of walls: problems to which you don’t find an immediate solution. And for me this was not different; I was facing some obstacles during my work process. But the beautiful thing with the digital world is that everyone is connected and wants to help in making solutions for the problems you’re facing.
So because of my jewellery, I was on- and offline in connection with many different people around the globe who all contributed in some way in my work. Everyone being elements connected, like a chain.

We are all linked.  
One by one.  
Moving on our own. 
Very tight or loosely. 
But interlinked together.

Name of graduation student: Sophia de Groot.
Name of the guiding teacher: Nedda El-Asmar.

More work and contacts:
Email: savi.degroot@gmail.com
Instagram: savidegroot

Find out more about the courses at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. Artesis Plantijn University College.

Sophia De Groot. Necklace: Interlinked, 2019. Stainless steel.. Photo by: Casper Fitzhue. From series: Interlinked. Sophia De Groot
Necklace: Interlinked, 2019
Stainless steel.
Sophia De Groot. Necklace: Interlinked, 2019. Stainless steel.. Photo by: Casper Fitzhue. From series: Interlinked. Sophia De Groot
Necklace: Interlinked, 2019
Stainless steel.
Sophia De Groot. Bracelet: Interlinked, 2019. Stainless steel.. Photo by: Casper Fitzhue. From series: Interlinked. Sophia De Groot
Bracelet: Interlinked, 2019
Stainless steel.
Sophia de Groot. Earcuff: Interlinked, 2019. 3D printed stainless steel.. Photo by: Casper Fitzhue. From series: Interlinked. 
. Sophia de Groot (b. 1993, Netherlands) is a Masters student of the Jewellery Design, Gold and Silversmithing Department at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Antwerp.  
. In her research, Sophia is exploring movement within the limitation of one material and it’s possibilities within one autonomous piece. She is searching for a way to create fluidity in one continuous shape. One form of jewellery that embodies these properties is chain. 
. In her work she considers the links of a chain and the way they are connected as an item into itself and not just as a support for other jewellery; the chain and it’s a repetitive connection as the main subject in her jewellery pieces.  
. Sophia is a digital craftsman who unites technology, craftsmanship and art. She crosses with her designs in multiple disciplines. By making 3D printed stainless steel links and assembling them in a repetitive way by the hand she makes unique combinations of chain pieces.  
. Because of her research, she was on- and offline in connection with different people around the world who all contributed in some way in her work. The beauty in the digital world is that everyone is linked and want to help in making solutions for the problems you’re facing. Everyone elements connected, like a chain.  
. We are all linked.  
. One by one.  
. Moving on our own. 
. Very tight or loosely. 
. But interlinked together.. Sophia de Groot
Earcuff: Interlinked, 2019
3D printed stainless steel.

Sophia de Groot (b. 1993, Netherlands) is a Masters student of the Jewellery Design, Gold and Silversmithing Department at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Antwerp.  
In her research, Sophia is exploring movement within the limitation of one material and it’s possibilities within one autonomous piece. She is searching for a way to create fluidity in one continuous shape. One form of jewellery that embodies these properties is chain. 
In her work she considers the links of a chain and the way they are connected as an item into itself and not just as a support for other jewellery; the chain and it’s a repetitive connection as the main subject in her jewellery pieces.  
Sophia is a digital craftsman who unites technology, craftsmanship and art. She crosses with her designs in multiple disciplines. By making 3D printed stainless steel links and assembling them in a repetitive way by the hand she makes unique combinations of chain pieces.  
Because of her research, she was on- and offline in connection with different people around the world who all contributed in some way in her work. The beauty in the digital world is that everyone is linked and want to help in making solutions for the problems you’re facing. Everyone elements connected, like a chain.  
We are all linked.  
One by one.  
Moving on our own. 
Very tight or loosely. 
But interlinked together.

Appreciate APPRECIATE