Back
British Academy of Jewellery.
Goldschmitte.
Goldmuseum Taipei - Metal Crafts Competition 2018.

Su Yu Ching. LAO - Le Arti Orafe Jewellery School. Selected Graduate 2017

Article  /  Selected Graduate 2017   Artists
Published: 19.06.2017
Su Yu Ching Su Yu Ching
Author:
Le Arti Orafe
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Su Yu Ching attended at LAO a three-year Jewellery Making course: two year Bachelor's degree, followed by one-year Master's degree. During the third year of studies, Su Yu worked in almost total autonomy, as the school program predicts. She has developed her technical skills and deepened her formal research, such as the combination of iron with silver and gold, which she had started during the second year of studies, and that was pursued with personal and very original solutions. The creations of Su Yu denote delicacy that are not easy to emerge in jewels basically made of iron, and this denotes a sensitivity out of the ordinary. In my role of the course coordinator and lab teacher, working with students like Su Yu is always a pleasure. /Giò Carbone
Le Arti Orafe, Florence, Italy

In the last semester in the university, I went to Hong Kong to study as an exchange student for half a year. I was completely intrigued by the street which is so disordered but full of the beauty of vitality. Somehow the experience living there gave me a strong desire to create something-- a feeling I couldn't relate to before. Therefore, after I went back to Taiwan I started to work as an English tutor during the night and went to a studio to learn sketching and Chinese painting during the day for three years. I was planning to come to Italy to learn oil painting. But the idea was changed when I found an old, mosaic brass box in a flea market in Venice. I loved the box so much that I even wanted to know how to make one. So the other day I brought the box to a blacksmith store asking how to make a box like this. In the end, I made two original pieces in metal first time in my life under their teaching- a lamp and an old cash register-liked box. That was how I became determined to learn more on how to work with metals. And then I found Le Arti Orafe where I’ve learned lots of fundamental skills and knowledge. The best part for my third year is that you have your own bench so you can work independently and freely but you can always turn to the teacher for assistance when you have any problem with the work. 
All in all, the characteristic of heaviness of metals wins my preference over other materials. And then its unlimited possibility and the infinite exploration of techniques always keep me interested.

Collection- Holes
The idea of these works mainly came from "making while thinking". Some started with pieces worked before but then abandoned in the box where I put the stuff I have no idea how to finish. Some stared with a certain shape or effect that I found intriguing while working.
The process is quite like painting. You may not have a clear final picture of a work in mind. You just play with it till when you look at it and you know it's done.

Collection- Nails
Walking around the flea markets is another habit of mine. These old nails were found accidentally in the flea market around my home in Florence and bought intentionally as material for my works. 
600 silver is my favorite substitute for 925 silver while working with iron. The alloy has this dark and champagne hue making the combination with iron more harmonious by looking at it.

More works and contact:
- www.chingsumetalstudio.com
- FB: Ching Su metal studio
- xxchingg@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Le Arti Orafe

Su Yu Ching. Brooch: Untitled, 2016. 925 silver, 600 silver, fine gold, iron. 6.8 x 1 x 0.65 cm. Photo by: Matt Liao. From series: Nails. Su Yu Ching
Brooch: Untitled, 2016
925 silver, 600 silver, fine gold, iron
6.8 x 1 x 0.65 cm
Photo by: Matt Liao
From series: Nails
Su Yu Ching. Brooch: Untitled, 2016. 925 silver, 600 silver, fine gold, iron. 9.9 x 0.5 x 0.65 cm. Photo by: Matt Liao. From series: Nails. Su Yu Ching
Brooch: Untitled, 2016
925 silver, 600 silver, fine gold, iron
9.9 x 0.5 x 0.65 cm
From series: Nails
Su Yu Ching. Necklace: Untitled, 2016. 925 silver, fine gold, iron. 16 x16 x 0.5 cm. Photo by: Matt Liao. From series: Holes. Su Yu Ching
Necklace: Untitled, 2016
925 silver, fine gold, iron
16 x16 x 0.5 cm
From series: Holes
Su Yu Ching. Necklace: Untitled, 2016. 925 silver, 600 silver, iron. 18 x 10.7 x 0.35 cm. Photo by: Matt Liao. From series: Holes. Su Yu Ching
Necklace: Untitled, 2016
925 silver, 600 silver, iron
18 x 10.7 x 0.35 cm
From series: Holes
Appreciate APPRECIATE