Tatum Gentry Tatum Gentry
Author:
Cranbrook Academy of Art
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Tatum Gentry. Piece: Expert from Expert of a Bathroom, 2019. 18k gold plated lead, 14k gold nose ring, thread, my sister's wisdom teeth, ball chain, brass, powder coating, lead, CZ, yarn, ceramic tile.. Photo by: Carlson Productions. From series: Expert of a Bathroom. Necklace and objects.. Tatum Gentry
Piece: Expert from Expert of a Bathroom, 2019
18k gold plated lead, 14k gold nose ring, thread, my sister's wisdom teeth, ball chain, brass, powder coating, lead, CZ, yarn, ceramic tile.
Photo by: Carlson Productions
From series: Expert of a Bathroom
Necklace and objects.

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Tatum challenges the so-called good taste, I do not know if you could call it camp but for sure it has that certain camp sensibility.
Everything she makes underlines a thing we might know but now are forced to stare at while lying on the bathroom floor in a morning-after setting.
Grown up in a pink/turquoise bedroom with unicorns, she feels not obliged to follow the unwritten rules of the contemporary jewelry field. It is not the typical work inspired by the human body, it rather evokes the body to have very bodily reactions.
It is nicely disgustingly untrendy and therefore always just a step aside of what we have learned to like and appreciate, that is what I appreciate about it.
/ Iris Eichenberg

Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, United States.

Expert of a Bathroom​
My work focuses on the body and its relationship to objects, how we position ourselves around the things we collect, and what those objects tell others about us. Jewelry is the objects that we carry with us every day. In my necklaces I use the cultural signifiers of my adolescence, the things we would adorn ourselves with to “fit in”. Those “objects” that we carried and the jewelry that we wear mean something to us. Through my work, I am trying to discover what that meaning is.

Sex. Kink. Phallic. Obscene. These themes surface in my work and are always accompanied by the notion of innocence. I make soft implications of impure thoughts, to implicate the viewer. This, in turn, adds a sense of ownership to the jewelry when worn. My work harnesses the confusion of sex, innocence, the obscene and the clean. Bringing the viewer or wearer back to a time of adolescence, a time when you question everything. Ultimately compelling you to think about the objects you live with and why.

Name of graduation student: Tatum Gentry
Name of the guiding teacher: Iris Eichenberg

More work and contact:
Email: tatumblankely@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, United States.
Tatum Gentry. Piece: Expert from Expert of a Bathroom, 2019. Brass, aluminium, powder coating, plexiglass, yarn, plastic o-ring, ball chain, silicone, ceramic tile.. 91.4 x 76.2 x 30.5 cm. Photo by: Carlson Productions. From series: Expert of a Bathroom. Necklace and objects.. Tatum Gentry
Piece: Expert from Expert of a Bathroom, 2019
Brass, aluminium, powder coating, plexiglass, yarn, plastic o-ring, ball chain, silicone, ceramic tile.
91.4 x 76.2 x 30.5 cm
Photo by: Carlson Productions
Necklace and objects.

Tatum Gentry. Necklace: Dog Tags with Sock, 2019. Brass, aluminium, powder coating, yarn, plexiglass, plastic o-ring, 18k gold plated ball chain.. 122 x 61 x 670.6 cm. Photo by: Tatum Gentry. From series: Expert of a Bathroom. Tatum Gentry
Necklace: Dog Tags with Sock, 2019
Brass, aluminium, powder coating, yarn, plexiglass, plastic o-ring, 18k gold plated ball chain.
122 x 61 x 670.6 cm
Photo by: Tatum Gentry
Tatum Gentry. Necklace: Pressure, 2019. Yarn, brass, aluminum, powder coating, rubber O-ring, plexiglass, ball chain.. 68.6 x 10.2 x 5.1 cm. Photo by: Tatum Gentry. From series: Expert of a Bathroom. Tatum Gentry
Necklace: Pressure, 2019
Yarn, brass, aluminum, powder coating, rubber O-ring, plexiglass, ball chain.
68.6 x 10.2 x 5.1 cm
Tatum Gentry. Piece: Microphallus, 2019. Yarn, thread, brass, lead, gold leaf, ball chain.. 45.7 x 12.7 x 1.3 cm. Photo by: Tatum Gentry. From series: Expert of a Bathroom. Necklace and earring.. Tatum Gentry
Piece: Microphallus, 2019
Yarn, thread, brass, lead, gold leaf, ball chain.
45.7 x 12.7 x 1.3 cm
Necklace and earring.

Appreciate APPRECIATE