Back
HDK_OpenCall_PositionforProfessor.
Koonstfack School - Master Programme Crafts.
H&D_2019_Banner_Skyscraper.
Ambertrip.

Tiaan Beukes: Stellenbosch University. Selected Graduate 2018

Published: 24.09.2018
Tiaan Beukes Tiaan Beukes
Author:
Universiteit Stellenbosch University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Tiaan Beukes. Object: Untitled, 2017. Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather.. 15 x 22 x 3 cm. Photo by: Pierre Rommelaere. From series: Object(s). Tiaan Beukes
Object: Untitled, 2017
Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather.
15 x 22 x 3 cm
Photo by: Pierre Rommelaere
From series: Object(s)
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Tiaan Beukes’ work challenges the way we view and interact with objects. By creating a chair that disseminates into a variety of jewellery pieces, he challenges wearability, functionality and value in an innovative way. /Joani Groenewald
Universiteit Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa.

I was inspired by broken chairs in the Department of Visual Arts. These chairs were sitting in and around the building, pieces missing, neglected and forgotten because of their lack of the traditional function of a chair. Yet, to me, these chairs were more than just supportfor a person’s backside, they told stories, stories of students working for hours on end, of history within the department. These objects are more than the sum of their qualities, more than the sum of their parts, yet still, I was interested in what it means for our understanding of objects when their qualities, components or functions change.

As a result, I have made a chair that is comprised of puzzle-like pieces. These puzzle pieces transform into jewellery, sculpture, fashion and wall mounted work, but most of the pieces do not only belong to one of these categories. This blurs the lines between the fields of art and design and the categories as often prescribed to objects within said fields. With these objects, I try to challenge western epistemology’s dependence on categorisation as a method of rationalisation. Through the use of language, we place objects inside specific categories in our effort to try and understand these objects. By creating objects that do not fall into these categories, I challenge this method of containing things inside boxes to aid in our understanding of the world around us.

Placing works of art into designated categories undermines the potential for its function and meaning to change. The concept of potentiality then is fundamental in my work, the potential of broken chairs to inspire, the inherent potentiality of the reclaimed wood I use and the potential for works of art/design to come together and create a chair.  My work ultimately focuses on objects, objects as entities that are not exhausted by their categorisation, not by their function or lack thereof and not by our human experience of these objects. Through my work, I try to challenge the viewer's perception and understanding of objects and art objects.

More work and contacts:
Email: tiaansbeukes@gmail.com
Instagram: Tiaan Beukes

Find out more about the courses at: Universiteit Stellenbosch University.
Tiaan Beukes. Body piece: 2E+3E=18, 2017. Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather, copper.. 120 x 25 x 3 cm. Photo by: Hjalmar Bekker. From series: Object(s). Tiaan Beukes
Body piece: 2E+3E=18, 2017
Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather, copper.
120 x 25 x 3 cm
Photo by: Hjalmar Bekker
Tiaan Beukes. Brooch: 9B, 2017. Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather.. 15 x 20 x 3 cm. Photo by: Hjalmar Bekker. Tiaan Beukes
Brooch: 9B, 2017
15 x 20 x 3 cm
Photo by: Hjalmar Bekker
Tiaan Beukes. Body piece: 2E+3E=18, 2017. Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather, copper.. 120 x 25 x 3 cm. Photo by: Pierre Rommelaere. From series: Object(s). Tiaan Beukes
Body piece: 2E+3E=18, 2017
Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather, copper.
120 x 25 x 3 cm
Tiaan Beukes. Brooch: 9B, 2017. Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather.. 15 x 20 x 3 cm. Photo by: Pierre Rommelaere. From series: Object(s). Tiaan Beukes
Brooch: 9B, 2017
15 x 20 x 3 cm
Tiaan Beukes. Object: Assembled Chair consisting of various jewellery pieces, 2018. Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather.. 96 x 40 x 60 cm. Photo by: Pierre Rommelaere. From series: Object(s). Tiaan Beukes
Object: Assembled Chair consisting of various jewellery pieces, 2018
96 x 40 x 60 cm
Tiaan Beukes. Brooch: Untitled, 2017. Reclaimed Imbuia wood, leather.. 15 x 20 x 3 cm. Photo by: Pierre Rommelaere. From series: Object(s). Tiaan Beukes
Brooch: Untitled, 2017
15 x 20 x 3 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE