William Sharp William Sharp
Author:
Glasgow School of Art
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
William Sharp. Piece: 2in1 Brooch and Earrings, 2019. PLA plastic, silver, steel, magnets.. 7 x 7 x 2 cm. Photo by: Alessandro Marini. William Sharp
Piece: 2in1 Brooch and Earrings, 2019
PLA plastic, silver, steel, magnets.
7 x 7 x 2 cm
Photo by: Alessandro Marini
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
William Sharp’s modular jewellery developed from a multi-disciplinary investigation into the Bauhaus and German product design over the past century. Dieter Rams’ 10 Principles of Good Design echo through the resulting work with clever systems, interactive elements, and sustainability all being key to their success.
There is a joyful playfulness to Sharp’s work underpinned with meticulous consideration of colour palette and the working parts; integration of the pin, locking systems and interlinking of parts. Material hierarchies have been purposefully ignored with biodegradable plastics used with the same care and consideration as precious metals. The interactive assemblages are both complex in construction and conception and simple in the way they adorn the wearer or their everyday environment.
/ Tutor: Marianne Anderson
Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, United Kingdom.

Initially using my design process to help focus and control my own anxiety, I began to research how anxiety is reflected in the design. From the clean, minimalist furniture found mass-produced within stores like Ikea to the crisp, meticulously designed radios produced by the likes of Braun. These products are all results of heavily controlled processes that’s history can be traced back to times of change and worry within wider society. Developments in technology alongside political tension became a catalyst for efficient and practical design resulting in the minimalist, industrial aesthetic we are often surrounded by today.

My design process was also affected by my position within the Art & Design world. I never wanted to fully step into the world of fine art or product design which lead me to find contemporary jewellery, a discipline that I found to be a middle ground. My graduate collection is a result of applying the ‘10 Principles for good design’ that were created by designer Dieter Rams and aesthetics related to the Bauhaus, these influences have led to a collection of work that can be adaptable and interactive on and off the body. The work I have produced has been created efficiently and responsibly using 3D printing and small amounts of cast silver components.

Name of graduation student: William Sharp.
Name of the guiding teacher: Marianne Anderson.

More work and contact:
Email: will.sharp2016@gmail.com
Instagram: willsharpjewellery

Find out more about the courses at the Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, United Kingdom.

William Sharp. Piece: 2in1 Brooch and Earrings, 2019. PLA plastic, silver, steel, magnets.. 7 x 7 x 2 cm. Photo by: Alessandro Marini. Alternative view.. William Sharp
Piece: 2in1 Brooch and Earrings, 2019
PLA plastic, silver, steel, magnets.
7 x 7 x 2 cm

Alternative view.

William Sharp. Piece: 2in1 Necklace & Magnetic Brooch, 2019. PLA plastic, silver, magnets, cord.. 5 x 5 x 1 cm. Photo by: Alessandro Marini. William Sharp
Piece: 2in1 Necklace & Magnetic Brooch, 2019
PLA plastic, silver, magnets, cord.
5 x 5 x 1 cm
William Sharp. Piece: 2in1 Necklace & Magnetic Brooch, 2019. PLA plastic, silver, magnets, cord.. 5 x 5 x 1 cm. Photo by: Alessandro Marini. Alternative view.. William Sharp
Piece: 2in1 Necklace & Magnetic Brooch, 2019
PLA plastic, silver, magnets, cord.
5 x 5 x 1 cm

Alternative view.

William Sharp. Piece: 4in1 Brooch Box, 2019. PLA plastic, silver, steel, magnets, cord.. 5.5 x 5.5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Alessandro Marini. William Sharp
Piece: 4in1 Brooch Box, 2019
PLA plastic, silver, steel, magnets, cord.
5.5 x 5.5 x 2 cm
William Sharp. Piece: 4in1 Brooch Box, 2019. PLA plastic, silver, steel, magnets, cord.. 5.5 x 5.5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Alessandro Marini. Alternative view.. William Sharp
Piece: 4in1 Brooch Box, 2019
PLA plastic, silver, steel, magnets, cord.
5.5 x 5.5 x 2 cm

Alternative view.

Appreciate APPRECIATE