Xiaoxian Zhan Xiaoxian Zhan
Author:
Academy of International Visual Arts
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Xiaoxian Zhan. Brooch: Cell, 2019. Foam, pigment, beads, steel wire.. 9 x 6 x 4.5; 9 x 6 x 3.5; 8 x 7.5 x 2.5 cm. Photo by: Qiwei Chen. From series: Cell. Pre BA. Xiaoxian Zhan
Brooch: Cell, 2019
Foam, pigment, beads, steel wire.
9 x 6 x 4.5; 9 x 6 x 3.5; 8 x 7.5 x 2.5 cm
Photo by: Qiwei Chen
From series: Cell
Pre BA

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
<Lesion> and <Cells> are an expression from Zhan Xiaoxian for her own experiences. In her work, Xiaoxian indicates the real inner world of the human body which always ignore but have to face. She simulates decayed skin covered by fine makeup and cancer cells in the micro-world through the exploration of materials, which brings viewers an empathetic visual impact.
/ Cora Cheng
Academy of International Visual Arts, Shanghai, China.

Split, tear, lesion and hide, these words filled my brain in recently. I supposed that life is worse than death when my face got an inflammation because of the tearing wounds, which stimulated my sensory nerves and made me feel that I had no chance of recovery. So, my first collection was inspired by this experience, that I used make up to pretend I have a perfect appearance, but what under the beautiful skin is opposite. The melting acrylic creates a similar texture of lesion. Those irregularity, colourful, rich texture is encouraging audiences to think about their true appearance.

The second series "Cells" was developed from the "Lesion". During my research, I realized the detail and change of body was so interesting. In order to be better distinguished and studied, cancer cells under a microscope are highlighted in bright colours in medical tests. Those cancer cells are waiting for an opportunity to become cancerous. When I first learned about the little cells from books as a child, I started to image the body is the big world where full of myriad small cells. By enhancing these fascinating structures the come out naturally. Jewellery is the way I can transfer the invisible senses to become something real.

Name of graduation student: Xiaoxian Zhan
Name of the guiding teacher: Cora Cheng

More work and contact:
Email: 1376692339@qq.com

Find out more about the courses at the Academy of International Visual Arts, Shanghai, China.

Xiaoxian Zhan. Brooch: Cell, 2019. Foam, pigment, beads, steel wire.. 9 x 6 x 4.5; 9 x 6 x 3.5; 8 x 7.5 x 2.5 cm. Photo by: Qiwei Chen. From series: Cell. Individual piece view.Pre BA. Xiaoxian Zhan

Individual piece view.
Pre BA

Xiaoxian Zhan. Brooch: Cell, 2019. Foam, pigment, beads, steel wire.. 9 x 6 x 4.5; 9 x 6 x 3.5; 8 x 7.5 x 2.5 cm. Photo by: Qiwei Chen. From series: Cell. Individual piece view.Pre BA. Xiaoxian Zhan

Individual piece view.
Pre BA

Xiaoxian Zhan. Brooch: Lesion 2, 2019. Acrylic, nail polish.. 5 x 3.5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Qiwei Chen. From series: Lesion. Pre BA. Xiaoxian Zhan
Brooch: Lesion 2, 2019
Acrylic, nail polish.
5 x 3.5 x 2 cm
From series: Lesion
Pre BA

Xiaoxian Zhan. Ring: Lesion 2, 2019. Acrylic, nail polish.. 5 x 3.5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Qiwei Chen. From series: Lesion. Xiaoxian Zhan
Ring: Lesion 2, 2019
Acrylic, nail polish.
5 x 3.5 x 2 cm
Xiaoxian Zhan. Ring: Lesion 1, 2019. Acrylic, nail polish.. 6.5 x 4.3 x 2.5 cm. Photo by: Qiwei Chen. From series: Lesion. Xiaoxian Zhan
Ring: Lesion 1, 2019
Acrylic, nail polish.
6.5 x 4.3 x 2.5 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE