Yanjun(Janzy) Yu Yanjun(Janzy) Yu
Author:
Academy of Art University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Yanjun Yu. Bracelet: Bounding, 2020. Sterling silver, purple heart wood.. 8.9 x 8.1 x 2 cm. Photo by: Yanjun Yu. Yanjun Yu
Bracelet: Bounding, 2020
Sterling silver, purple heart wood.
8.9 x 8.1 x 2 cm
Photo by: Yanjun Yu
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
One of the first thoughts that comes to mind when I look at Janzy(Yanjun)’s thesis work, is one of quiet, dynamic energy, waiting for forms to reveal themselves.  While the eye initially focuses on the outside, seduced by beautiful wood and metal shapes and tones, the interactions and connections slowly expose themselves. / Charlene Modena
The gestation time of developing a solid thesis, and the adventure of discovering new materials and techniques became the core concept for a body of work  that embraces the traditional and the exuberantly contemporary. “Connections” and the alteration of interlocking shapes is a visual metaphor for the depth of meaning in the alteration of ideas and relationships.

During the last semester of her thesis, and preparing for her final thesis presentation, Janzy had to reach beyond possibilities. Midway through the semester, because of Covid 19 and the shelter in place ruling in San Francisco, the University onsite studios and classrooms were shut down. Consequently, Janzy had to complete her thesis in her small city apt. unit, including taking photographs and video of her thesis. The essence of “Connections” became revelatory during this time of social distancing and the endless disruption of connections. Energized by this situation, both technically and conceptually, as opposed to seeing it as stumbling block, Janzi’s absolute commitment to her thesis was realized.

/ Charlene Modena

My master thesis is called Connections, it build an environment that features pure connections, not just as we are used to seeing them in furniture or building construction, but a world in which the connections themselves stand alone as “protagonists” in the design narrative. Using decorative art jewelry as the medium for communicating this concept will lead people to contemplate these connections. I want my audience first to feel curious about each piece, and then to ask themselves these questions: (1) What is it? (2) Can it move? and (3) How does it work, or how is it made? Ultimately, the viewer needs to consider the piece more deeply, asking themselves: What does it mean to me?

Connections is a concept highlights the hidden links within our world, revealing the inner beauty of how we interact and communicate with one another as we maintain our social relationships. To visually represent these interpersonal connections, I explored different forms of expression in my artwork. First, I employed traditional mortise-and-tenon joinery as a metaphor for connectivity. This led to further development of my concept, as I applied other techniques and visual elements to my work. Inspired by puzzle, I created individual components that interlock in a variety of possible shapes. These functional, interlocking parts became stand-alone designs, the component pieces themselves serving as wearable jewelry, and collectively making up as a joinery system of my own. In addition, I created miniature sculptures that can be assembled and disassembled. By focusing on the nature of connection itself, I try to built an interactive environment that engages the user and reflects the deeper meaning of social relationships.

About material, wood has been frequently used in my work because it relates to the original joinery, also provides a natural context. I love the combination of both metal and wood, united to form a single design solution, as this juxtaposition conveys a uniquely contemporary feeling. The artworks I construct include numerous detachable elements, each accurately designed part interlocking, one in harmony with the other, to form a unified piece. Although the specific function of these intricate puzzles may not be clear at first glance, within their movement and ingenious design, there is an interactive and fun quality that I hope the viewer will enjoy.

/ Yanjun Yu

More work and contacts:
Email: yuyanjun19@gmail.com
Phone: +1 4157132698

Name of graduation student: Yanjun Yu.
Name of the guiding teacher: Charlene Modena.

Find out more about the courses at Academy of Art University.
Yanjun Yu. Object: Affinity, 2020. Brass, oak, resin, 3d printing.. 6.9 x 6.9 x 10.1 cm. Photo by: Yanjun Yu. Ring and ring box. . Yanjun Yu
Object: Affinity, 2020
Brass, oak, resin, 3d printing.
6.9 x 6.9 x 10.1 cm
Ring and ring box.

Yanjun Yu. Object: Affinity, 2020. Brass, oak, resin, 3d printing.. 6.9 x 6.9 x 10.1 cm. Photo by: Yanjun Yu. Alternative view. Ring and ring box. . Yanjun Yu
Object: Affinity, 2020
Brass, oak, resin, 3d printing.
6.9 x 6.9 x 10.1 cm

Alternative view.
Ring and ring box.

Yanjun Yu. Bracelet: Assemblage, 2020. Oak, brass.. 14.5 x 14.5 x 3.8 cm. Photo by: Yanjun Yu. Yanjun Yu
Bracelet: Assemblage, 2020
Oak, brass.
14.5 x 14.5 x 3.8 cm
Yanjun Yu. Bracelet: Correspondence, 2020. Cast bronze, steel.. 11.7 x 11.7 x 4.3 cm. Photo by: Yanjun Yu. Yanjun Yu
Bracelet: Correspondence, 2020
Cast bronze, steel.
11.7 x 11.7 x 4.3 cm
Yanjun Yu. Bracelet: Correspondence, 2020. Cast bronze, steel.. 11.7 x 11.7 x 4.3 cm. Photo by: Yanjun Yu. On body. . Yanjun Yu
Bracelet: Correspondence, 2020
Cast bronze, steel.
11.7 x 11.7 x 4.3 cm

On body.

Yanjun Yu. Necklace: Fellowship, 2019. Maple, acrylic, cast bronze.. 7 x 12.7 x 5 cm. Photo by: Yanjun Yu. Yanjun Yu
Necklace: Fellowship, 2019
Maple, acrylic, cast bronze.
7 x 12.7 x 5 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE