Yingqi Zhao Yingqi Zhao
Author:
Indiana University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Yingqi Zhao. Necklace: Female, yingqi puffy zhao, oddball, 2020. Copper, sterling silver, resin, paint, acrylic, thread.. 8 x 3 x 31 cm. Photo by: Yingqi Zhao. From series: 0.5mm [Enter]. Yingqi Zhao
Necklace: Female, yingqi puffy zhao, oddball, 2020
Copper, sterling silver, resin, paint, acrylic, thread.
8 x 3 x 31 cm
Photo by: Yingqi Zhao
From series: 0.5mm [Enter]
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Familiar colors that blend, with surfaces and textures that overlap, Yingqi (Puffy) Zhao’s work combines forms that are inspired by microscopic cells, specifically human cells. Exploring particular events in her life, she reinterprets personal experiences through her unique approach to material and process. / Professor Nicole Jacquard
The series 0.5mm [Enter] utilizes traditional jewelry techniques with rapid prototyping and laser etched plastics giving the work a push-pull of thought through personal expression. Pieces like Rock Climbing 3 min, 3 days refer to a specific event and the bruising that was the result of an intense activity. Recording these occurrences, no matter how mundane, exemplifies a reflexive approach to her practice and identity. Puffy’s work constant questions the notion of “direct observation” and how the perception of bodily evidence from those specific events changes over time. Much like the transitions of a bruise with the location of impact first appearing bright red, then blue, fading to green and then eventually yellow; her work exposes the transformative nature of growth, healing, and development. It is through these pieces that she captures these moments of flesh, blood, and bone – all in a state of flux for us to reflect on and ponder our own identity.
/ Professor Nicole Jacquard

A red seed in my palm [enter]
A red net on my arm [enter]
The red darkens [enter]
The red alone [cursor]

I am drawn to microscopic structures of living forms. The idea that how creatures are perceived by human eyes could be entirely different from the imagery revealed by a microscope, makes me ponder whether I am able to capture the reality of anything merely through direct observation and visual reproduction. I begin researching the expansive subject of microscopy from an origin point of the cell, while reflecting on what composes my flesh and bone. Instead of depicting the familiar human form that is exposed to naked eyes, I choose to present the imagined segments, altered versions, and memorized episodes of the human form from a cell perspective, which are processed by the microscope in my head.

There are two identities living inside the physical me. One of the duo is blank, calm, logical, organized, and restricted; the other one is full, dramatic, emotional, chaotic, and free. I am intrigued and inspired by the process of uniting materials that have a distinctive texture, color, toughness, and transparency, which enables me to express my dual identities, and helps me visualize the growth of a newborn from an ambiguous seed to a matured form. I incorporate laser engraved, laser-cut, and hand-painted leather which represents the skin cell, transparent resin components that are modelled in Rhinoceros, 3D printed, fabricated, then painted by hand which represents the blood cell and the fat cell, fabricated then formed sterling silver which represents the muscle cell, and laser engraved, laser-cut, then fabricated transparent acrylic as well as an acrylic mirror which represents the bone cell.

That red awakes [enter]
That red burns out [enter]
Their red sings in silence [enter]
Their red smiles like a child [period]

/ Yingqi Zhao

More work and contacts:
Email: yingqipuffyzhao@gmail.com
Instagram: @puffi.puffypuf

Name of graduation student: Yingqi(Puffy) Zhao.
Name of the guiding teacher: Nicole Jacquard.

Find out more about the courses at Indiana University.

Yingqi Zhao. Brooch: Acne, face, Bruise, skin, Scar, heart, 2020. Copper, sterling silver, resin, paint, stainless steel.. 10 x 4 x 9 cm. Photo by: Yingqi Zhao. From series: 0.5mm [Enter]. Yingqi Zhao
Brooch: Acne, face, Bruise, skin, Scar, heart, 2020
Copper, sterling silver, resin, paint, stainless steel.
10 x 4 x 9 cm
Yingqi Zhao. Brooch: 2019, fall, individual, 2020. Copper, sterling silver, acrylic, leather, paint, stainless steel.. 9 x 2 x 8 cm. Photo by: Yingqi Zhao. From series: 0.5mm [Enter]. Yingqi Zhao
Brooch: 2019, fall, individual, 2020
Copper, sterling silver, acrylic, leather, paint, stainless steel.
9 x 2 x 8 cm
Yingqi Zhao. Necklace: Belly Fat, 1st floor, 2nd floor, 2020. Copper, sterling silver, resin, paint, acrylic, thread.. 12 x 3 x 50 cm. Photo by: Yingqi Zhao. From series: 0.5mm [Enter]. Yingqi Zhao
Necklace: Belly Fat, 1st floor, 2nd floor, 2020
Copper, sterling silver, resin, paint, acrylic, thread.
12 x 3 x 50 cm
Yingqi Zhao. Brooch: Rock Climbing, 3 mins, 3 days, 2020. Sterling silver, resin, paint, stainless steel.. 9 x 3 x 6 cm. Photo by: Yingqi Zhao. From series: 0.5mm [Enter]. Yingqi Zhao
Brooch: Rock Climbing, 3 mins, 3 days, 2020
Sterling silver, resin, paint, stainless steel.
9 x 3 x 6 cm
Yingqi Zhao. Brooch: Bone Fracture, Playground, 2020. Copper, sterling silver, acrylic, stainless steel.. 9 x 1 x 9 cm. Photo by: Yingqi Zhao. From series: 0.5mm [Enter]. Yingqi Zhao
Brooch: Bone Fracture, Playground, 2020
Copper, sterling silver, acrylic, stainless steel.
9 x 1 x 9 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE