Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Jie Sun

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 30.11.2012
Interview with Jie Sun.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
Well, I don't know, but I don't agree with the word "standardize". Perhaps there are some influence or similarity between the different generation of the artists and designers at certain period, field or under certain culture.
Do you think that jewellery is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
Why jewellery it should be standardized? Well, I don't know, but Ii don't agree with the word "standardize". Perhaps there are some Influence or similarity between the different generation of the artists and designers at certain period, field or under certain culture. If we just talking about the section of jewellery, we got so many difference during art jewellery, contemporary jewellery, fashion jewellery, commercial (industry) jewellery, jewellery design, tradition jewellery..... there is even not any standardize way to jury them, they all existing under the name of jewellery, but has own way to survive and develop. On the other hand, the field of jewellery still developing, especially the contemporary jewellery whatever contemporary art one or design one, which has to be matched the time we are living (contemporary society) and the taste of culture ( international? Or Chinese? Or European? ), but with different focus.

For me, jewellery is a language, a way to be creative, to communicate with the audience (the right one), the world and myself. That is all about. If you take a look my business card, you would find out that I called myself "culture maker", who is the person being creative with making. Of course, the point is "making", which is the fundamental part of applied arts, to distinguish with fine arts and design. Someone would say "machine" also able to make thing out, is that also mean applied arts? Of course not, for the way of machine making is called "producing" indeed. And normally, I don't like to put too much text below my work, called "artistic statement", but there are always some source which I would like to use to support my works, as another way to understand, while guiding the people to reach the imagination. I think it is the same as the note placed at the bottom of a page of book, but it could be anything instead of just text. So, the local and universal in my artistic work is the word " jewellery "="a language", whatever the form and where, how, when I would use it to be "speak". It is just not where I talk things from, it is where I take them to.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I hardly really expect something when I exposing my work to the public, whatever an exhibition, a fair, a conference, or a lecture. Or I should say I don't know what I should expect indeed, because the audience are very much different, and they all have own point of view and standing on different level to look at my work, such as professional, social role, education, gender, culture background, age, personal reason......those are things I am not able to expect as all, exhibition just a platform to show my works and bridge it to the audience, I'm always open to be surprised. 

Are other areas besides the jewellery, present in your work?
So far, all my works are based on the concept and topic of jewellery. But I am still looking forward to finding new possibility to speak jewellery, make it more interesting, at least for myself. 

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
Well, it is a quite personal question, but i am actually very bad at remember name with book, film which I have watched. Normally, I am kind of guy who is easily being moved by anything or anyone, which is simply showing emotion out. It doesn't have to be how deep thinking, even just a exaggerated Hollywood movie. 

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
I have traveled to many places, most of them are mainly in China and Europe, maybe because of that, my brain has combined by the western and eastern way of thinking, not easily be surprised by things under the two culture any more. I think I have to travel more to the small countries. In spite of this, I am quite normally surprised by the details of the life and people who is following them heart. I found that's something very much touch me and inspire me all the time. 

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
Yes, absolutely. I love Michelangelo, Bada Shanren (ancient Chinese painter), Egon Schiele (Austrian painter), Giorgio Morandi ( Italian painter), Frank Owen Gehry ( Canadian-American architect). Those are the artists I have appreciated and inspired me since I was 16 years old.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
So far, for the most satisfaction one of my works, I think it should be the series brooch < Big Fish>, which has gave the most honor I have gained at this year. But on the other hand, I am still growing and learning from everyday. Mentally, I am living in the future, and always puts my best effort to every work I do, when it has done, it just has done, I prefer to achieve new things, life still keep on going.
Jie Sun. Brooch: Big Fish Golden, 2012. Craft wood, silver, gold, steel, paint. Jie Sun
Brooch: Big Fish Golden, 2012
Craft wood, silver, gold, steel, paint
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE