What I think of when I think of jewellery. Curatorial statement of Dr. Jurgita Ludavičiené, Curator SCHMUCK 2025
Published: 27.02.2025
Brooch: Colonial Comeuppance XIII Gentil, 2023
Blackened silver, vintage painted miniature, plastic, vintage glass beads, silk
6 x 6 x 1 cm
Photo by: Sara de Pina
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

First of all, I think about the honour I have been given this time and the responsibility that comes with it. Every year, when I look at the main curated exhibition of contemporary jewellery at the Handwerkermesse, I not only curiously follow the stories told by the artists' works, but I also try to see with respect and admiration the curator's idea that connects the selected artists' works. It always seems as if there is something more behind the works. That is always the case with a good exhibition.
Dr. Jurgita Ludavičienė juried 62 entries from 29 countries this year. 789 artists from 51 countries applied to take part in the exhibition.
This text is included at the Schmuck 2025 exhibition catalogue. You can purchase it at the Internationale Handwerksmesse in Hall B1 and in the Galerie Handwerk or order it online.
-
Mario Pinton: Goldsmithing as Artistic Knowledge. An essay by Sotiria Vasileiou
08Oct2026 -
Laurenz Stockner’s Objects Between Matter, Process, and Form to experience in an exhibition high in the Mountains of V...
05Oct2026 -
Five Jewellers Turn Business Plans into Action with the Goldsmiths’ Centre’s Business Catalyst (Small) Grants 2026
01Oct2026 -
Growing Gems. When gemstones become a creative language at Romanian Jewelry Week
28Sep2026 -
The Critic Stops at the Neck
28Sep2026 -
A Curatorial Vision of Eight Designers at Romanian Jewelry Week 2026
28Sep2026 -
When the File Comes First: What Is the Original in Contemporary Jewelry?
21Sep2026 -
Interlude
19Sep2026 -
Human, do you want co-exist? The third Lisbon Contemporary Jewellery Biennial is happening soon
11Sep2026 -
Onderonsje by Lucy Sarneel. A Future Classic in Contemporary Jewellery
25Aug2026 -
Desire for Symmetry. Part of the Master’s degree thesis: The Psychology of Vision
25Aug2026 -
Galleri Smedjan launches International Artist in Residence Programme. Julia Obermaier announced as First Resident Artist
24Aug2026 -
The Goldsmiths’ Centre appoints Julia Balchin as Director and Richard Reid as Chair of the Board of Trustees
12Aug2026 -
The Aluminium Gyro Bangle by David Watkins. A Future Classic in Contemporary Jewellery
03Aug2026 -
Jewellery as Situation: On the Relational Practice of Da Ye Kim. A Critical Review by Klimt02
03Aug2026













