Eighteen Yuan Eighteen Yuan
Author:
Cranbrook Academy of Art
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The 9th edition of the New Talents Award by Klimt02 aims to recognize the work of graduate students in our field by supporting their careers in the professional world. Nominated by our school members, one of the selected graduates will win the New Talents Award.

Through my work, I aim to map the emotional landscapes of the human experience and provide a tangible connection to the concept of belonging. Inviting the wearer to connect with their inner selves and the world around them through the intimacy of jewelry.

Name of graduation student: Eighteen (Yihan) Yuan
Name of guiding teacher: Iris Eichenberg

Nominated by Cranbrook Academy of Art

I am excited to write in support of Yihan Yuan who graduated from the metals department in May 2022. Yihan is recently my studio manager and plans to start her own school in china, introducing traditional techniques to the contemporary jewelry field.
She is in so many ways the best of 2 worlds, she is a hardworking, talented, and humble maker, the future of our field.
Her work is meticulously made and personal without being overly didactic, wearable, and autonomous.
Step by step Yihan explored, tested, and played and doing so became the example for other students showing them how to study and grow without leaning into trends or taking shortcuts. Within her work care for others is the poetic underline and her own longing invites us to long with her.
Please consider Yihan for your award as it would not just be an investment in her but our field as well.

/ Iris Eichenberg

The statement of the artist:
I explore the intersections between memory, landscape, and intimacy through the mediums of jewelry and enameling. Jewelry serves as a reminder of home and the memories we carry with us. Through my work, I aim to map the emotional landscapes of the human experience and provide a tangible connection to the concept of belonging. inviting the wearer to connect with their inner selves and the world around them through the intimacy of jewelry.

Be-Longing Series:
Belonging is an elusive feeling, akin to describing a rock's texture or a puzzle piece's shape. Objects hold stories of their creation, ownership, and significance, evoking memories and emotions that connect us to places, times, or communities. From a bar of soap to jewelry, objects offer continuity and a sense of belonging, anchoring us in the world.

Ver & Evie Series:
After 66 years of marriage, my friend Evie’s husband, Vern, passed away. As a way to memorialize him, she shared with me his entire collection of neckties.
I carefully lay them on the table. I see Vern’s handiwork in the curves left in the silk. Vern is there. I trace the outline of my rocks at about the bar tack, removing a segment of silk and hand embroidering the scar. I transfer the segment of each tie onto decal paper and put underfired enamel rock with the patterned decal into the kiln again. After a small flame burns out slowly, the pattern of the tie is permanently left on the enamel rock, for filling in the lost.

Summary of thesis
Navigating life as a traveling soul has evoked a poignant longing for home, prompting me to collect mementos—rocks, remnants of soaps, snapshots from plane windows. These items form a tapestry of memories, a repository of belonging. As a jeweler, I delve into the symbiotic dance between adornments and the body, believing jewelry isn't just ornamentation but an emotional extension. My work embodies wearability, an intimate link between wearer and piece, capturing moments that shape one's essence.

My fascination with rocks mirrors a quest to grasp their enduring essence, juxtaposing their timeless nature against human transience. Rocks serve as anchors, echoes of the landscapes that define 'home.' Yet, home remains an enigmatic puzzle; its pieces hint at familiarity yet elude complete assembly. Belonging, a complex emotion shaped by culture and experiences, stems from a profound connection to a place. It engenders a sense of rootedness, a connection to something larger than oneself, weaving the narrative of our lives.

However, belonging can prove elusive, leaving us feeling adrift. Expressing these sentiments feels like crafting a unique language—a language of objects, rocks, puzzles, and landscapes. The pieces I create echo these sentiments, much like soap remnants, retaining traces of intimacy and moments I cherish. Objects, from simple rocks to intricate jewelry, serve as vessels connecting us to places, times, and communities, offering continuity and a sense of belonging regardless of our location.

Objects become repositories of memory, preserving experiences that might fade with time. They hold a mirror to our emotional landscapes, intertwined with mourning, intimacy, and belonging. Whether it's the touch of familiar fabric or the remnants of a cherished soap bar, these objects forge intimate connections, grounding us in our past while shaping our present and future.

In their simplicity, even mundane objects like wood or bone carry profound meaning, reminding us of life's fragility and the serenity found in quiet moments. Their weathered appearance tells stories of their making and ownership, transcending material value to embody the essence of humanity.

In a world in flux, these objects stand as immutable witnesses, comforting reminders that some things endure, encapsulating the essence of who we are. Their enduring tales, etched in rust and wear, transcend time, a testament to the unwavering nature of certain truths in our ever-evolving world.

E-mail: Eyuan@cranbrook.edu
             Yihanyuan0423@gmail.com
Instagram: @eighteen0423

Find out more about Cranbrook Academy of Art

Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Be-Longing 01, 2022. Copper, silver, steel. 12 x 5 x 3 cm. Photo by: Hankunyu Wei, Eighteen Yuan. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Be-Longing 01, 2022
Copper, silver, steel
12 x 5 x 3 cm
Photo by: Hankunyu Wei, Eighteen Yuan
From series: Be-Longing

Estimated price: 600 €

Eighteen Yuan. Hankunyu Wei. Object: Be-Longing 02, 2022. Copper, silver, steel. 18 x 8 x 4 cm. Photo by: Eighteen Yuan, Hankunyu Wei. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Hankunyu Wei
Object: Be-Longing 02, 2022
Copper, silver, steel
18 x 8 x 4 cm
Photo by: Eighteen Yuan, Hankunyu Wei
Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Be-Longing 03, 2023. Enamel, copper, silver, steel, horsehair. 22 x 14 x 3 cm. Photo by: Hankunyu Wei, Eighteen Yuan. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Be-Longing 03, 2023
Enamel, copper, silver, steel, horsehair
22 x 14 x 3 cm
Photo by: Hankunyu Wei, Eighteen Yuan

Estimated price: 800 €

Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Be-Longing 04, 2023. Enamel, copper, silver, steel. 13 x 8 x 4 cm. Photo by: Eighteen Yuan, Hankunyu Wei. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Be-Longing 04, 2023
Enamel, copper, silver, steel
13 x 8 x 4 cm
Photo by: Eighteen Yuan, Hankunyu Wei

Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Be-Longing 05, 2023. Enamel, copper, silver, steel. 15 x 6 x 3 cm. Photo by: Eighteen Yuan. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Be-Longing 05, 2023
15 x 6 x 3 cm
Photo by: Eighteen Yuan

Estimated price: 700 €

Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Be-Longing 06, 2023. Enamel, copper, silver, steel. 14 x 6 x 3 cm. Photo by: Eighteen Yuan. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Be-Longing 06, 2023
14 x 6 x 3 cm

Estimated price: 700 €

Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Be-Longing 07, 2023. Enamel, copper, silver, steel. 14 x 7 x 4 cm. Photo by: Eighteen Yuan. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Be-Longing 07, 2023
14 x 7 x 4 cm

Eighteen Yuan. Necklace: Be-Longing 08, 2023. Enamel, copper silver, steel, soap, red thread. 23 x 9 x 5 cm. Photo by: Eighteen Yuan. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Necklace: Be-Longing 08, 2023
Enamel, copper silver, steel, soap, red thread
23 x 9 x 5 cm
Eighteen Yuan. Necklace: Be-Longing 09, 2023. Enamel, copper, silver, steel, soap, red thread. 24 x 10 x 5 cm. Photo by: Eighteen Yuan. From series: Be-Longing. Eighteen Yuan
Necklace: Be-Longing 09, 2023
Enamel, copper, silver, steel, soap, red thread
24 x 10 x 5 cm
Vern & Evie Series. Brooches and Neckties. Photo by Xiao Bin.
Vern & Evie Series. Brooches and Neckties. Photo by Xiao Bin

Vern & Evie series. Brooches. Photo by Tim Thayer.
Vern & Evie series. Brooches. Photo by Tim Thayer

Brooches from the Vern & Evie Series by Eighteen Yuan
. Photo by Tim Thayer.
Brooches from the Vern & Evie Series by Eighteen Yuan
Photo by Tim Thayer

Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Vern & Evie 17, 2022. Enamel, copper, silver, steel, necktie, silk threads. Photo by: Eighteen Yuan. From series: Vern & Evie. Brooch and Necktie. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Vern & Evie 17, 2022
Enamel, copper, silver, steel, necktie, silk threads
From series: Vern & Evie
Brooch and Necktie
Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Vern & Evie 06, 2022. Enamel, copper, silver, steel. 10 x 7 x 5 cm. Photo by: Tim Thayer. From series: Vern & Evie. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Vern & Evie 06, 2022
10 x 7 x 5 cm
Photo by: Tim Thayer
Eighteen Yuan. Brooch: Vern & Evie 13, 2022. Enamel, copper, silver, steel, necktie, silk threads. 10 x 9 x 2 cm. Photo by: Tim Thayer. From series: Vern & Evie. Brooch and Necktie. Eighteen Yuan
Brooch: Vern & Evie 13, 2022
Enamel, copper, silver, steel, necktie, silk threads
10 x 9 x 2 cm
Photo by: Tim Thayer
Brooch and Necktie