Back

Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Universiteit Stellenbosch University. New Talent Award Nominee 2021

Article  /  Artists   NewTalentsByKlimt02
Published: 26.10.2021
Luché Eléne Oberholzer Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Author:
Universiteit Stellenbosch University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Luché's investigation into the human-technology interface makes a valuable contribution to the field of contemporary jewellery design. She draws a valuable distinction between post-humanism and trans-humanism and relates these concepts to her own creative jewellery praxis and methods of production. 
/Joani Groenewald, Lecturer
Name of graduation student: Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Name of guiding teachers: Joani Groenewald, Lecturer

Nominated by Universiteit Stellenbosch University, South Africa

"Luche's investigation into the human-technology interface makes a valuable contribution within the field of contemporary jewellery design. She draws a valuable distinction between post-humanism and trans-humanism and relates these concepts to her own creative jewellery praxis and methods of production. In this regard, her study specifically investigates the boundaries of her body in relation to the technological tools that she relies on to make her jewellery pieces. She questions the stability of these boundaries (between body and tool) and puts forward her production process as an interface where technological and bodily entities collaborate and become entangled."
/Joani Groenewald, Lecturer

Summary of the Master Thesis:
Crafting the digital

A postphenomenological investigation into the human-technology interface in a contemporary jewellery praxis

This study investigates the boundaries of technological tools in relation to the human body through my own process of jewellery production. Similar to the ways in which technological tools can mediate the human experience in terms of making, I draw a comparison between technological mediation in human experience and the way in which a jewellery piece becomes a physical and figurative extension of the wearer and possibly the extension of the human body. I investigate how postphenomenological interpretations of the many interfaces between humans and technology can be expressed through contemporary jewellery practices. Considering that postphenomenology recognises technology as a tool that mediates the human experience of reality, I utilise postphenomenology as a lens by which I unpack my own experience within a contemporary jewellery practice. I specifically investigate the extent to which the relationship between craftsman and tool is interconnected and/or indistinguishable in my own craft-based jewellery practice. As such, this study is an attempt to unpack the relationship between humans and technology during the process of making.

As a contemporary jewellery designer who predominantly works with digital tools, I question the ways in which technology shapes my mind and extends my body, and as such mediates my experience during the process of making. By investigating my own human-technology interface within a posthumanist context, I unpack the ways in which the interface facilitates a posthuman state in which technology challenges the body’s boundaries. Furthermore, I unpack the role of technology and contemporary jewellery as a form of prosthesis, framing both the jewellery piece and the technologies used to make it as devices that have the potential to alter the state of the human body. Considering the transformative properties of technology within a posthumanist discourse, I unpack the posthuman as a state of being which is directly influenced by the technological artefact. Thus, posthumanist discourse becomes a platform that allows me to explore the role of technology and digitization in obscuring the boundaries of the human body, through contemporary jewellery.

The body of work that accompanies this thesis is comprised of a fusion of digital and nondigital processes as I combine non-digital practices such as metalsmithing, pottery, and crocheting with computer-aided design (CAD), 3D printing, and augmented reality. These processes are translated into various pieces in which I embed the findings of my investigation, making reference to the prosthetic nature of jewellery and the various tools that are used in my practice. My body of work thus becomes an embodiment of myself, the artist (through the physical involvement of each piece that I create) and the technologies I rely on. Each piece serves to encapsulate the ways in which various technological tools collaborate and become intertwined with the artisan’s bodily boundaries and as such become an illustration of the intangible posthuman state.
/Luché Eléne Oberholzer

More work and contacts:
Tel.: +27 066 249 3594
E-mail: info@bitterbessieblou.com

Find out more about the courses at Universiteit Stellenbosch University.
Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Head Piece: Interlace, 2021. Coated PLA, coated copper wire, transparent stretch elastic. 14 x 30 x 12 cm. Photo by: Jean Rossouw. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Head Piece: Interlace, 2021
Coated PLA, coated copper wire, transparent stretch elastic
14 x 30 x 12 cm
Photo by: Jean Rossouw
Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Head Piece: Interlace, 2021. Coated PLA, coated copper wire, transparent stretch elastic. 14 x 30 x 12 cm. Photo by: Jean Rossouw. Alternative view.. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Head Piece: Interlace, 2021
Coated PLA, coated copper wire, transparent stretch elastic
14 x 30 x 12 cm
Photo by: Jean Rossouw

Alternative view.

Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Brooch: Grid #2, 2021. Coated PLA, silver, resin, magnets.. 10 x 2 x 5 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Brooch: Grid #2, 2021
Coated PLA, silver, resin, magnets.
10 x 2 x 5 cm
Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Brooch: Grid #2, 2021. Coated PLA, silver, resin, magnets.. 10 x 2 x 5 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Alternative view.. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Brooch: Grid #2, 2021
Coated PLA, silver, resin, magnets.
10 x 2 x 5 cm

Alternative view.

Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Pendant: Industrial Artisan #2, 2020. Coated ABS, coater copper wire, leather cord, enamel paint, silver. 7 x 30 x 7 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Pendant: Industrial Artisan #2, 2020
Coated ABS, coater copper wire, leather cord, enamel paint, silver
7 x 30 x 7 cm
Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Sculpture: Post-human, 2020. Ceramic, steel wire.. 25 x 17 x 20 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. From series: Post-human. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Sculpture: Post-human, 2020
Ceramic, steel wire.
25 x 17 x 20 cm
From series: Post-human
Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Sculpture: Post-human, 2020. Ceramic, steel wire.. 25 x 17 x 20 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. From series: Post-human. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Ceramic, steel wire.
25 x 17 x 20 cm
From series: Post-human
Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Sculpture: Post-human, 2020. Ceramic, steel wire.. 25 x 17 x 20 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Ceramic, steel wire.
25 x 17 x 20 cm
Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Brooch: Industrial Artisan #5, 2020. Coated ABS, coated copper wire, enamel paint, silver, steel pin.. 8 x 4 x 6 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
Brooch: Industrial Artisan #5, 2020
Coated ABS, coated copper wire, enamel paint, silver, steel pin.
8 x 4 x 6 cm
Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Brooch: Industrial Artisan #5, 2020. Coated ABS, coated copper wire, enamel paint, silver, steel pin.. 8 x 4 x 6 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Alternative view.. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
8 x 4 x 6 cm

Alternative view.

Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Brooch: Industrial Artisan #5, 2020. Coated ABS, coated copper wire, enamel paint, silver, steel pin.. 8 x 4 x 6 cm. Photo by: Luché Eléne Oberholzer. Alternative view.. Luché Eléne Oberholzer
8 x 4 x 6 cm

Alternative view.

Appreciate APPRECIATE