Sille Luiga Sille Luiga
Author:
Estonian Academy of Arts
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
In her master's thesis, Sille takes a step away from jewelry and a step closer to the visual arts. She studies the absurd as the fruit of our imagination and, as a result, as an essential phenomenon. All this is accompanied by the playful ambivalence that Sille cultivates with her childlike sincerity.
/ Nils Hint
I consider the main strength of Sille's work to convey a strong message with minimal resources. I believe in little, but very deeply. I believe in love. The dualism of good and evil, natural and unnatural, does not sink into the background of the work but penetrates the center of the author's worldview. The work comes off as a breath of fresh air, necessary for all of us both in real life and while daydreaming.
/ Kadri Mälk

Party's Over
In my thesis, I explore ideas connected to my artistic practice through a rail of fragmented notes, that I took while making objects. The notes include my personal experiences, thoughts about time, boredom, nonsense, the uselessness of things, values, sincerity, honesty, superficiality, contradictions, and absurdity. All these subjects are introduced and concluded in the text through the metaphor of a party.

Notes of a party that is over:
  • The party's over. Why, with whom, when, where, to whom, how - these details do not matter. What matters is whether the party was fun or not.
  • I have noticed that in Estonia many things like childhood, school time, and even life itself, are trivially compared to a party. Party seems like a simple pleasure – responsibility and rules do not play a remarkable role, as one can only participate and don’t have to worry about the organizing.
  • The phrase "the party’s over" is also thrown into the air very lightly. "Party" as an adjective is uniformly applied to the whole period before the disaster that allegedly ended the party. It is noted with a bittersweetness that time seems to reveal a pattern, a regularity, that the good times don’t last and punishment for them is certain. Situations where the phrase "the party’s over" is used are usually not appropriate for it because a party is valued by how special and extraordinary it is. The disaster that makes people say "the party’s over" is not the opposite of a party. For me, the opposite of a party is a smooth passage of time without special moments. A quick change, a surprise, means that the party has just begun.
  • A party is a revolt against the steady passing of time. Party wins moments but loses to eternity. Eternity will always be boring. I do not believe that man should go through his life doomed dull forever. Instead, time should be wasted, so the indifference of time could be resisted. Moments must be heightened.
  • Parties can be life-changing, or, at least they celebrate life-changing events. What should I remember, commemorate, celebrate, forget? Birth, birthday, marriage, funeral, in memoriam day, Easter, Midsummer's day, Halloween, Christmas, ordinary get-togethers, complete ragers, weeks of binge drinking - to name a few. Has partying become outdated? Half of the list of celebrations have become very rare occasions in my life. Would more parties save humanity? Save from what? From an eternity of boredom probably.

More work and contact:
Email: silleluiga@gmail.com
Instagram: @sileluik
Facebook: Sille Luiga
Phone number: +372 5103039

Name of graduation student: Sille Luiga.
Name of the guiding teacher: Nils Hint and Kadri Mälk.

Find out more about the courses at Estonian Academy of Arts.
Sille Luiga. Object: Party's Over, 2020. Kitchen foil.. 23 x 10 x 9 cm. Photo by: Sille Luiga. From series: Party's Over. Sille Luiga
Object: Party's Over, 2020
Kitchen foil.
23 x 10 x 9 cm
Photo by: Sille Luiga
From series: Party's Over
Sille Luiga. Installation: Party's Over, 2020. Kitchen foil.. Front: 23 x 13 x 12 cm, Back: 18 x 9 x 7 cm. Photo by: Sille Luiga. From series: Party's Over. Sille Luiga
Installation: Party's Over, 2020
Kitchen foil.
Front: 23 x 13 x 12 cm, Back: 18 x 9 x 7 cm
Sille Luiga. Set: Party's Over, 2020. First two objects from kitchen foil (blue aluminum foil object), and the last two from latex (blue latex balloon, light blue latex balloon).. Various sizes. Photo by: Sille Luiga. Sille Luiga
Set: Party's Over, 2020
First two objects from kitchen foil (blue aluminum foil object), and the last two from latex (blue latex balloon, light blue latex balloon).
Various sizes
Sille Luiga. Necklace: Party's Over, 2020. Light pink latex empty, faux leather covered with latex.. 21 x 26 x 6 cm. Photo by: Sille Luiga. From series: Party's Over. Sille Luiga
Necklace: Party's Over, 2020
Light pink latex empty, faux leather covered with latex.
21 x 26 x 6 cm
Sille Luiga. Necklace: Party's Over, 2020. Light pink latex empty, faux leather covered with latex.. 21 x 26 x 6 cm. Photo by: Anni Voll. Sille Luiga
Necklace: Party's Over, 2020
Light pink latex empty, faux leather covered with latex.
21 x 26 x 6 cm
Photo by: Anni Voll
Sille Luiga. Object: Party's Over, 2020. Light blue latex balloon.. 40 x 28 x 28 cm. Photo by: Sille Luiga. From series: Party's Over. Sille Luiga
Light blue latex balloon.
40 x 28 x 28 cm
Sille Luiga. Object: Party's Over, 2020. Light pink latex balloon.. 40 x 28 x 28 cm. Photo by: Sille Luiga. From series: Party's Over. Sille Luiga
Light pink latex balloon.
40 x 28 x 28 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE