Back
Cranbrook.
Goldmuseum Taipei - Metal Crafts Competition 2018.
RISD.

Sofia Bankeström. HDK. Academy of Design and Crafts. Selected Graduate 2017

Article  /  Selected Graduate 2017   Artists
Published: 22.08.2017
Sofia Bankeström Sofia Bankeström
Author:
HDK. Academy of Design and Crafts
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
In a repetitive working process, Sofia Bankeström examines the wood's change and variability. With the help of just a few tools, she processes the wood's surface where new structures and patterns emerge. Lines and movements make you think of both water, music and a flowing fur.
HDK Academy of Design and Crafts, Gothenburg, Sweden

In Sofia's work, tradition and experiment unite and the result often becomes jewellery in a more generous scale. She carefully chose her materials, she is concerned and try to find the soul and quality of each one of them. The jewellery by Sofia speak not with one voice, but with many, and invites us to use all our senses to understand and to feel it.

During the studies at HDK Jewellery Art (BA and MA) Sofia has never been afraid of leaving the comfort zone, the “already known” and try more unexpected directions in the search for new expressions and concepts. Her work has been awarded and and highlighted several times, for example with a self-made silver-box camera 2014, in 2015 she was selected for Talente, and her work “Abstraction” was representing HDK during the Milan fair 2017. Through several years of study, up to her Master's degree in Jewellery, Sofia has built a strong artistic maturity and sharpness, and a security in form, material and concept
. / Karin Johansson, Professor

Sofia Bankeström​ - Memory box
A​ ​closed​ ​box​ ​is​ ​full​ ​of​ ​possibilities,​ ​a​ ​container​ ​of​ ​memories​ ​and​ ​future.  A​ ​box​ ​is​ ​the​ ​framework​ ​within​ ​which​ ​something​ ​suddenly​ ​can​ ​appear​ ​more​ ​distinctly,​ ​be​ ​seen.​ ​Ideas materialize​ ​and​ ​take​ ​shape.​ ​These​ ​are​ ​the​ ​boxes​ ​I​ ​am​ ​interested​ ​in​ ​finding,​ ​and​ ​I​ ​look​ ​for​ ​them everywhere.​ ​The​ ​boxes​ ​that​ ​may​ ​contain​ ​anything,​ ​even​ ​myself.

The​ ​first​ ​box​ ​in​ ​my​ ​project​ ​was​ ​an​ ​abstract​ ​one.​ ​I​ ​was​ ​interested​ ​in​ ​finding​ ​new​ ​ways​ ​to​ ​see​ ​and experience​ ​the​ ​tactile​ ​wooden​ ​objects​ ​I​ ​had​ ​been​ ​making​ ​for​ ​a​ ​while.  This​ ​led​ ​me​ ​to​ ​build​ ​a​ ​display​ ​box​ ​where​ ​you​ ​can​ ​never​ ​see​ ​the​ ​actual​ ​object​ ​inside,​ ​only​ ​a​ ​transparent reflection​ ​or​ ​ghost​ ​version​ ​of​ ​it.  The​ ​next​ ​box​ ​was​ ​a​ ​carved​ ​wooden​ ​casket​ ​that​ ​my​ ​great​ ​grandmother​ ​made​ ​100​ ​years​ ​ago.​ ​I​ ​received it​ ​for​ ​no​ ​particular​ ​reason​ ​but​ ​as​ ​it​ ​happened,​ ​the​ ​small​ ​wooden​ ​pieces​ ​I​ ​was​ ​making​ ​fit​ ​right​ ​into​ ​it.  As​ ​we​ ​all​ ​know,​ ​good​ ​things​ ​come​ ​in​ ​threes​ ​so​ ​my​ ​goal​ ​was​ ​now​ ​clear;​ ​to​ ​find​ ​the​ ​third​ ​box.  

As​ ​I​ ​work​ ​with​ ​and​ ​handle​ ​wood​ ​I​ ​leave​ ​traces​ ​in​ ​the​ ​surface.​ ​This​ ​is​ ​how​ ​the​ ​material​ ​remembers,​ ​by marks​ ​and​ ​scratches.​ ​It​ ​absorbs​ ​grease​ ​and​ ​dirt,​ ​particles​ ​from​ ​events​ ​and​ ​people.​ ​Wood​ ​is​ ​not​ ​just​ ​a material.​ ​It​ ​is​ ​also​ ​things​ ​that​ ​still​ ​do​ ​not​ ​exist.​ ​It​ ​is​ ​already​ ​everything​ ​that​ ​it​ ​could​ ​become. I​ ​associate​ ​with​ ​the​ ​wood​ ​as​ ​I​ ​affect​ ​it​ ​with​ ​my​ ​tools.​ ​After​ ​a​ ​while​ ​it​ ​affects​ ​me​ ​back.  
The​ ​wood​ ​I​ ​am​ ​working​ ​with​ ​has​ ​a​ ​strong​ ​and​ ​aromatic​ ​smell.​ ​It​ ​is​ ​a​ ​typical​ ​wood​ ​used​ ​for​ ​small crafted​ ​objects​ ​such​ ​as​ ​butter​ ​knifes,​ ​because​ ​it​ ​only​ ​grows​ ​so​ ​thick.​ ​I​ ​remember​ ​this​ ​smell​ ​from​ ​early age​ ​and​ ​it​ ​fills​ ​me​ ​with​ ​a​ ​sense​ ​of​ ​security​ ​and​ ​home.  

The​ ​surface​ ​of​ ​the​ ​wooden​ ​pieces​ ​I​ ​make​ ​is​ ​an​ ​imitation​ ​and​ ​interpretation​ ​of​ ​the​ ​mere​ ​structure​ ​of​ ​the wood​ ​itself.  I​ ​followed​ ​these​ ​lines​ ​through​ ​a​ ​varied​ ​terrain,​ ​never​ ​letting​ ​them​ ​out​ ​of​ ​sight.  I​ ​knew​ ​this​ ​would​ ​lead​ ​me​ ​to​ ​the​ ​third​ ​box​ ​which​ ​turned​ ​out​ ​to​ ​be​ ​a​ ​series​ ​of​ ​wearable,​ ​foldable​ ​boxes. Containing​ ​anyone​ ​and​ ​anything.  

More works and contact:
Email: sofia.bankestrom@gmail.com​

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to HDK Academy of Design and Crafts.
Sofia Bankeström. Earrings: Untitled, 2017.  ​Juniper​ ​wood,​ ​14k​ ​gold . 7 x 4 cm. Sofia Bankeström
Earrings: Untitled, 2017
 ​Juniper​ ​wood,​ ​14k​ ​gold 
7 x 4 cm
Sofia Bankeström. Necklace: Untitled, 2017. Wood, Textile, Brass. 35 x 20 cm. Sofia Bankeström
Necklace: Untitled, 2017
Wood, Textile, Brass
35 x 20 cm
Sofia Bankeström. Necklace: Untitled, 2017. Juniper wood. 18 x 40 cm. Sofia Bankeström
Juniper wood
18 x 40 cm
Sofia Bankeström. Object: Untitled, 2017. Juniper wood. 50 x 30 cm. Sofia Bankeström
Object: Untitled, 2017
Juniper wood
50 x 30 cm
Sofia Bankeström. Object: Untitled, 2017. Plywood,​ ​digital​ ​printed​ ​cotton . Box. Sofia Bankeström
Object: Untitled, 2017
Plywood,​ ​digital​ ​printed​ ​cotton 
Box
Sofia Bankeström. Necklace: Untitled, 2017.  ​Juniper​ ​wood,​ ​elastic​ ​cord,​ ​brass . 35 x 20 cm. Sofia Bankeström
 ​Juniper​ ​wood,​ ​elastic​ ​cord,​ ​brass 
35 x 20 cm
Sofia Bankeström. Necklace: Untitled, 2017. Birch​ ​wood,​ ​elastic​ ​cord,​ ​brass . 18 x 50 cm. Sofia Bankeström
Birch​ ​wood,​ ​elastic​ ​cord,​ ​brass 
18 x 50 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE