Back

Three Hannah Gallery Artists Selected at Friedrich Becker Prize 2020

Article  /  Artists   Galleries   Awards
Published: 14.06.2020
Three Hannah Gallery Artists Selected at Friedrich Becker Prize 2020.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Three artists represented by Hannah Gallery Barcelona are selected for the Friedrich Becker Prize 2020. The internationally renowned Friedrich Becker Prize is awarded every three years by the Association for Goldsmiths' Art Hanau. 151 artists from 16 countries entered jewelry and silver hollow- and flatware for the Friedrich Becker Prize 2020, and the prizewinner and 41 exhibition participants were selected by a high-calibre jury. The works demonstrate exciting design approaches; unusual materials and techniques are not uncommonly applied and their artisanal perfection carries conviction.
The selected pieces by Fritz Maierhofer, Esther Heite and Ezra Satok Wolman represent the highest technical standards, flawless implementation and creative designs, characteristics that form the basis for representation in the Hannah Gallery Barcelona

Ezra Satok-Wolman, born in Toronto Canada, studied jewelry, art and design in college before moving to Italy in 2004 to focus on technical goldsmithing and developing his artistic direction. After completing a two-year program at Le Arti Orafe Jewellery School in Florence he went on to study with Giovanni Corvaja for three years in the Umbrian countryside. He has since participated in numerous international exhibitions, competitions, conferences and symposiums. In 2016 Satok-Wolman presented his first solo exhibition at Klimt02 Gallery, titled “Jewelry for Astronauts and Space Travelers.” Beyond his studio work, Satok-Wolman is an active voice in the field of contemporary jewelry, lecturing, writing and serving on the Board of Directors for the Society of North American Goldsmiths.

The selected Bracelet T-310, 2019 made from Titanium, stainless steel springs and 18k gold was created from DMLS 3D printed components then assembled to finally build a flexible hand adornment was originally created for the SpaceXXX: Mission to Mars by Ezra Satok-Wolman​ exhibition at Hannah Gallery Barcelona, a multi-media project and exhibition that looks towards the colonization of Mars, and the “Ship of Fools” who will colonize it. Satok-Wolman has designed a new collection of jewellery, rooted in space-age principles and technology, intended to adorn the AI (Artificial Intelligence) sex robots that will serve as astronaut companions in his dystopian vision of the future. 

Creating jewellery is a process of discovery for me that involves research and experimentation, in both concept and material.  I use geometry as a language to generate visual representations of my ideas and philosophies about the Universe and our place within it. The constants that are present in my work are Universal and are used to draw parallels between the microcosm and macrocosm. / Ezra Satok Wolman

Bracelet: T-310, 2019, Titanium, stainless steel springs, 18k gold, 10 x 10 x 2 cm, DMLS 3D printed components, assembled, riveted,, selected for Friedrich Becker prize 2020, on sale at Hannah Gallery Barcelona.

>> Find more works on sale from Ezra Satok-Wolman

Fritz Maierhofer born 1941 in Vienna, Austria, lives and works in Vienna, studied a traditional Goldsmith Apprenticeship with Anton Heldwein, and has works at the following collections among others: Österreichisches Museum Für Angewandte Kunst, Vienna, Schmuckmuseum, Pforzheim, Victoria And Albert Museum, London, National Museum Of Scotland, Edinburgh, Art Gallery Of Western Australia, Perth. He is a world-renowned jeweller, famous for its revolutionary use of acrylic and plastic in combination with golden jewellery, starting already in the early 1970s. Next to his ideas to use valuable and less valuable materials, the main role in his work plays colour.

Hannah Gallery decided years ago to work with the Austrian artist, because of his simple, geometric designs and his outstanding technical skills. For years the gallery represented especially his aluminium jewellery. Since about 4 years, the artist started working with iron and industrial enamel. An incredible change in his work, as his process is now influenced by spontaneity and the originality of the material.

The selected pieces for the Friedrich Becker Prize 2020, are brooches made from iron, industrial enamel and magnets. The objects are inspired by the mountains in Austria, and the brooches, easy to wear, are attention-seeking pieces in dark colours, with light spots, folding, 2-dimensional sheets of material trying to become 3 dimensional. 

Brooch, "eis-feuer-wasser", 2017, Iron, industrial enamel, magnets, selected for Friedrich Becker prize 2020.

Brooch "Universum", 2017, Iron, industrial enamel, magnets, selected for Friedrich Becker prize 2020.

>> Find more works on sale from Fritz Maierhofer

Esther Heite is the latest artist who started to work with Hannah Gallery in 2020. After her training as Goldsmith, she is qualified with a bachelors degree in Applied Art and Design at the Peter Behrens School of Arts, Hochschule Düsseldorf. During her time at the university, she develops a wide range of own techniques and procedures, always exploring material characteristics. The displacement of the familiar context is a repeating motif to generate a new aesthetic. Under the guidance of Herman Hermsen and Jantje Fleischhut she developed her graduation project "gebraucht" that deals with the relationship and the mutual influence of subject and object.

She was the Selected Graduate for Peter Behrens School of Arts, Hochschule Düsseldorf in 2019 and the winner of the Klimt02 JPLUS Award 2019. The pieces selected for the Friedrich Becker Prize 2020 have been presented in the Hannah Gallery Barcelona during her first solo exhibition "Human and Object" in February 2020. 

I am searching for a touching way to translate my observations and notions into material. In this process i see myself as a tinkerer, always looking to make something new, breaking the rules and limits of the familiar. I create my own new techniqes, not in a computerbased way, more in an unconventional way. / Esther Heite

Ring: Nucleous, 2019, Stainless Steel, 4 x 2.5 x 2.5 cm, Awarded at: JPLUS Emerging Talent Award 2019 by Klimt02, selected for Friedrich Becker prize 2020, for sale at Hannah Gallery Barcelona.

Ring: Signet Antique, 2019, Stainless Steel, 2.8 x 2.3 x 1.6 cm, Awarded at: JPLUS Emerging Talent Award 2019 by Klimt02, selected for Friedrich Becker prize 2020, on sale at Hannah Gallery Barcelona.

>> Find more works on sale from Esther Heite

Appreciate APPRECIATE