Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Galit Barak

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 08.11.2013
Interview with Galit Barak.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I find the field of contemporary jewelry wide, unique and innovative, in terms of material, layout and ways to apply and relate to the body. Often there is a new technology or material being widely used, and I think this happening, makes for some standardizing (in every field).
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I find the field of contemporary jewelry wide, unique and innovative, in terms of material, layout and ways to apply and relate to the body. Often there is a new technology or material being widely used, and I think this happening, makes for some standardizing (in every field). I think a piece should be created not according to the newest most coveted technology, but to be created with the best methods and techniques for the design and concept.
The background ideas and stories of my work are mainly personal experiences, most of which are location based, such as political overview, national expression and national conflicts that are expressed in my work, yet eventually all of these issues are universal. I find art to be an international language and an international platform to discuss these issues.
As much as I am familiar with Israeli jewelers and designers, today's world enables me to research worldwide artists and jewelers. This exposure will inevitably be reflected in my work. This knowledge that I accumulate will end up affecting my design decisions and aspects.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I expect to receive feedback, both from professionals, colleagues and the public eye. I hope to be able to innovate and make someone wonder and be curios. I want my work to challenge people’s concepts about jewelry and the wearable aspects of pieces and their ability to stand on their own as art objects. In addition, I want to be able to ask challenging questions regarding beauty and proportion in jewelry as well as stretching boundaries in design.
As I am fresh out of design school, and trying to expose my work as much as possible, I hope to be invited to exhibitions, work with galleries and put my work out there.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
In my conceptual work I want to express my thoughts and feelings about issues surrounding me; social and political conflicts I deal with in my daily life, architecture and man-made structures. Along with this, I am sometime drawn to aesthetics of shapes, body relations, and finer jewelry research.

The last work, book, film that has moved me was...
I recently read “No Logo” by Naomi Klein. I think my views about issues discussed in this book will be integrated in my future work and life.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
I really appreciate my professor Deganit Stern Schocken, I love her work both aesthetically and conceptually, she is forward thinking and original in her work. The philosophy behind her work focuses on the idea that jewellery does not have true purpose. In her work, she creates her objects with the idea that they are functional in and of their own. She redefines the boundaries of jewellery while embodying political and social ideas, and interdisciplinary research. All of these aspects of her work, and the time she has spent mentoring me over the past four years, has enabled me to approach my working process from different points of research and views.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
The piece that has given me most satisfaction during my current work is my graduate project. The process of working on the project took a longer time than other projects that I had worked on previously which allowed me to see the progression of my design over time. The ability to have my initial inspiration for the project follow the working process but not have the necessity of manifesting itself in obvious forms in the final designs, allowed me to keep working on the project with my intuitive approach and enabled me to become even more creative in my design.
Appreciate APPRECIATE