Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Jeemin Jamie Chung, Joya 2016 jury member interviewed by Klimt02

Published: 14.07.2016
Jeemin Jamie Chung Jeemin Jamie Chung
Author:
klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Jeemin Jamie Chung. Pendant: Two Drops, 2013. Brass, Pigment. 60 x 30 x 80 mm. Jeemin Jamie Chung
Pendant: Two Drops, 2013
Brass, Pigment
60 x 30 x 80 mm
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
To me JOYA Barcelona Fair has been one of the warmest family welcoming atmospheres. The vibe between artist vs. artists, artist vs. staff members, and artist vs. the audience were so great.

Jamie Chung is part of the jury members of JOYA 2016 (8th Edition) held at the Arts Santa Monica from September 29th to October 1st.

Versión en Español - Spanish version      View / hide description

How would you define your work?
My works can be defined from the interests and the background of my life with constant new meetings, farewells, and adapting to diverse cultures. I express nature in particular the form and structural changes as a plant grows, into movable Art Jewelry. When I look back to the works I have made, it is a reflection of me partly revealing the moments of my life.

What are you currently working on?
My previous works have been mostly planned out before going into the actual making process. Although recently I have changed my approach to the works I create. I have been focusing on improvising and making the Jewelry or the object rather than focusing on movable Jewelry. This was one of the motions that led me to the idea of Presence which I am currently working on.
One day, I was curious about the existent of the nonexistent. The concept I am interested in clearly does not show the existence of itself, but it reveals through other forms. What I am working on has to do with the nonexistent form but translated in my own way by giving boundaries to irregular conjugation.

What is your favourite source of inspiration? Jewellery Books, Magazines, Blogs or Websites?
It differs from the purpose and the use. I use all the sources when needed, but I prefer the analogue. Holding on to a hard copy in my hand makes me think deeper about the theme. It makes me feel good to sense the source of inspiration with my own hands.

In the process of being a jeweler, which has been the hardest tasks and the most pleasant ones, which you have been carrying out during this time?
Nothing is easy for sure. Everyone has their own problems no matter how big or small it is. As for me being an artist, when I have lack of inspiration and try to find something out of nothing, that would be the hardest task (I try to loosen up a bit before coming back to the bench at my studio). It all washes away when I feel right about the decisions that I make, and when I meet and find people who give me the right critiques for my work. That gives me thankful and pleasant mind at the same time. I try to find happiness in all the details of our lives. Small things matter.

How do you see the projection of contemporary jewelry nowadays?
Unquestionably there has been no boundary line for the Genre of Art these days, which has lead to the diversity of collaborations. As much as the exposure of different genres of contemporary Jewelry has revealed itself more than in the past, it has definitely improved interacting with the audience.
With all the hard work being done by the artists, curators, galleries, fairs, and organizations etc, there will be brighter future for Contemporary Jewelry. Staying awake and not letting ourselves fall into stagnant water will bring us to wider opportunities.

How would you describe your experience as a jury in this event? Is there any particular point of view when evaluating the work of other artists?
It is a great honor to be part of a Jury at JOYA 2016 along with other great Juries. JOYA 2015 was the moment I can't ever forget. My first 2 Awards in JOYA Barcelona, which I would like to say thank you again. I know how grand this place can be and it is also a bit overwhelming so I am nervous but excited at the same time to be part of the jury. Through this experience I hope to create and be part of diverse opportunities in Spain as well as other International countries.
I give my respects to all the artists who have put in the effort physically and mentally to come up with new creations for their never-ending hard work. I know this from my own experience.
While evaluating the works by the artists I wanted to focus on the jewelry itself. The background of where they have studied was a secondary issue for me. There were many points that I have determined, but among the rest I have focused on the connection with the theme of JOYA 2016.

Will you encourage other artists to participate in a fair like Joya?
To me JOYA Barcelona Fair has been one of the warmest family welcoming atmospheres. The vibe between artist vs. artists, artist vs. staff members, and artist vs. the audience were so great. It was the first awards that I have received which was awe-inspiring. I was very happy to be able to share the happiness with the great artists who understand how to enjoy the moments and the staff members who worked so hard to make it all happen. I would like to encourage other artists when there is passion and warm hearts all around with great harmony in a fair like JOYA!  

What other events can be platform to communicate the work of artists?
I myself am continuously searching for various platforms to communicate through my works. Exhibitions, Fairs, Awards, Workshops, etc. but I think it varies from what your aims are to communicate with your work.

About the Interviewed

Jeemin Jamie Chung, South Korea, 1983.
She is the Winner of JOYA Barcelona 2015 with her collection Two drops, she was selected over 50 individual artists. She has a background of living in diverse cultures where her inspiration comes from. She graduated from Kookmin University, M.F.A Metalwork & Jewelry / Seoul, Korea in 2010. She currently runs a studio in Seoul, Korea.

Jeemin Jamie Chung. Brooch: The unknown, 2016. Brass, Pigments. 55 x 55 x 90 mm. Jeemin Jamie Chung
Brooch: The unknown, 2016
Brass, Pigments
55 x 55 x 90 mm
Jeemin Jamie Chung. Pendant: Tensional, 2016. Brass, Pigments, Silver. 100 x 35 x 50 mm. Jeemin Jamie Chung
Pendant: Tensional, 2016
Brass, Pigments, Silver
100 x 35 x 50 mm
Jeemin Jamie Chung. Brooch: Whereto, 2015. Sterling Silver, Brass, Silk thread. 70 x 30 x 100 mm. Jeemin Jamie Chung
Brooch: Whereto, 2015
Sterling Silver, Brass, Silk thread
70 x 30 x 100 mm
Appreciate APPRECIATE