The Closer Gallery
- Xiao Liang, Jun Jin Wu
The property of The Hole Project is different from the general production of art that is mostly mastered by a certain person and complete in one go. It is, however, a collaborative project which ideally includes both artists and non-art-practitioners in general to work together through which the holistic process of the project is roughly divided into three stages.
__________(To Whom It May Concern),
Hi! This email serves as an open call to cordially invite you to take part in an art project which is entitled The Hole Project. The naming of the project was inspired by the Allegory of The Cave of Plato. The property of the project is different from the general production of art that is mostly mastered by a certain person and complete in one go. It is, however, a collaborative project which ideally includes both artists and non-art-practitioners, in general, to work together through which the holistic process of the project is roughly divided into three stages. We've been actually, invited 15 groups of artists to give 15 theme-driven instructions for potential participants to take further engagements. And now, at the most essential stage, the participation of the public means the start of the reproductive mechanism of the project. The simple trajectory is as follows:
Stage I (past): Invite artists to interpret the theme with a brief instruction or blueprint to present the archetype of thought and the primacy of concept. The blueprint, therefore, is not only a product of sensory experience but also a product of sensible thinking.
Stage II (present): Extend the project to the public. The participants - YOU, via comprehension, will then arouse interest in translating blueprint to supportively promote the reproductive mechanism of the project.
Stage III (future): Reinvite the artists to analyse and interpret the outcomes contributed by participants in stage II and then concrete the new outputs accordingly.
Generally, the project is an infinite rolling interpretation of the "project in motion", as primitive men standing at the entrance of a cave, being aware of the "self" through endless exploration. The purpose of the project is to illustrate the constructive relationship mutually by showing the idea differences between artists and non-art-practitioners/participants. That is, to spotlight the core values of both creativity and subjectivity of all participants. By doing so, the broadest publicity created by the ripple effect between individuals and groups will be poetically released. Moreover, "the independent practice of individuals" which has been repeatedly emphasized in the notion of modernism will also face a test of being delimited and expanded. It is expected that the overall outcomes of the project will be presented in an exhibition of 2022 in Beijing, China, along with a well-organized omnichannel approach for communication and broadcasting on a worldwide scale.
Kindly check the instructions or blueprints provided by 15 artists for Stage I (PDF in Chinese and English):
- Xi Chen: The Potential of The Hole
- Yanyi Dai: Capturing “Wind” into the “Hole”
- Yuchen Dai: The Cave
- Jing He: Wind Comes From the Hollow Cave
- Ankie Lee: Blowing Your “Bubbles”
- Weiyi Li: The Beading Project
- Yiping Li: Make Sense, Right?
- Yi Li: Concrete Circle
- Xiao Liu: Curiosity
- Ye Wang: “Bird shit” Operating Instructions
- Zixin Wei: All Pervasive – Reflections Triggered by Two Life Events
- Mian Wu and Yue Wang: The Holes That Are Just Right
- Pei Wu: Discovering The Greyscale
- Xiaoyou Ying: Dive into The Moonlight
- Zhixuan Zeng: A Moment When the Hole Can Become the Subject to Exhibit
How to get engaged? Here are the tips:
- Select the text or blueprint (within 1-3) that inspires you the most, considering it as a naked structure for interpretation. Your creative approaches towards the blueprint could be: either imitation or parody...; and your positional attitude towards it could be: either be obedient or be betrayed... In short, do not underestimate your remarkable insights!
- Send out an email to inform us that your definite interests could facilitate you to complete your creative interpretation and it will be, for all of us, a significant part of the project. So email us at: email@example.com without hesitation.
- Conduct the most appropriate means – photography, videography, and so forth, to record your creative journey and submit it to us, we will then get in touch with you shortly if your artwork is selected by artists for further interpretation.
- Image resolution: 3M per piece（JPEG)
- Video resolution: 1920 x 1080p.（MP4）
- Art Statement: Within 500words in English (DOC)
- If you would like to submit the physical and original work, please mail: The Closer Gallery, 80#, XingLong Street, DongCheng District, Beijing, China
The deadline for artwork submission is: GMT+8, 18 Dec 2021
We faithfully very much look forward to hearing back from you with your fascinating creations!
/ The Curatorial Team of The Hole Project
The Closer Gallery
- Xiao Liang, Jun Jin Wu
Open Call for Position of Professorships in Race in Art & Design (Fine Arts)06Dec2021 - 20Dec2021
Rhode Island School of Design
Providence, United States
Open Call for the XIX International Baltic Jewellery Show Amber Trip. About Opportunities06Dec2021 - 01Feb2022
Amber & Jewellery Fair
Open Call for Venice Design Week 202203Dec2021 - 15Apr2022
Open Call for Japan Jewellery Competition 202219Nov2021 - 01Feb2022
Japan Jewellery Designers Association
Open Call to Designers for a Curated Exhibition in Vienna05Nov2021 - 10Nov2021
Open Call for Amberif Design Award 202229Oct2021 - 01Feb2022
Gdansk International Fair Co
Open Call for 2022 AJF Young Artist Award26Oct2021 - 09Jan2022
Art Jewelry Forum
San Antonio, United States
SMCK On Reel. The Jewellery Video Festival at SCHMUCK / Munich's Jewelry Week24Oct2021 - 01Dec2021
Open Call for Artist in Residence Programme at Studio DIVA21Oct2021 - 30Nov2021
DIVA. Antwerp Home of Diamonds
Open Call for The Hole Project18Oct2021 - 18Dec2021
The Closer Gallery
Open Call for Purifying The Soul. 2022 VONMO Contemporary Jewelry Exhibition10Oct2021 - 10Jun2022
Open Call for Exhibition at Brussels Jewellery Week 202207Oct2021 - 01Feb2022
MAD, Home of Creators
Open Call to Submissions for a book on Contemporary Filigree Jewellery03Oct2021 - 15Oct2021
Dundee, United Kingdom
Open call for Metamorphoses. An E-Residency & Exhibition Project with Jewelry, Object, Performance and Video17Sep2021 - 30Sep2021
Open Call for Exhibition Until Death Do Us Part13Sep2021 - 14Oct2021