Back
Hochschule Idar Oberstein.
Joya 2017 skyscraper.
Goldmuseum Taipei - Metal Crafts Competition 2018.
Goldschmitte.

Cathy Ferreira. Universiteit Stellenbosch University. Selected Graduate 2017

Article  /  Selected Graduate 2017   Artists
Published: 01.09.2017
Cathy Ferreira Cathy Ferreira
Author:
Universiteit Stellenbosch University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Cathy’s work demonstrates how salt can become a medium through which the functionality of art, object, jewellery piece and the human body can be challenged and explored. Her work challenges the conventional application of the jewellery piece and/or art abject through the use of crystalizing salt. Her work is an ironic critique of salt as well as the jewellery object and its traditional relationship with the human body. The pieces stimulates a discomfort between the subject and the object whilst at the same time seducing the viewer with its captivating appearance. / Joani Groenewald, Lecturer

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Universiteit Stellenbosch University.

This thesis is a materialist investigation of salt as a vibrant material within the practice of art jewellery. My art jewellery practice, with salt as main material, serves as the basis of this art practice-based research study. I place emphasis on the vital materiality within matter, focusing on salt as catalyst within my practice and theory. Through detailed analysis of my practice, and of the primary role of salt as vibrant matter therein, I aim to investigate how a materialist perspective can generate an interdisciplinary approach within the practice of art jewellery. Salt was the catalyst that changed my practice to an interdisciplinary one, situated between art jewellery, alchemy, metallurgy and chemistry. As such my practice questions themes of wearability, appropriate materials and durability within jewellery practices. In general this study aims to contribute to the discipline of art jewellery by motivating the use of edible, mineral and bodily matter in order to transcend the boundaries and definitions of contemporary jewellery. Furthermore this study aims to create awareness of the significance of salt as a living matter that is able to cause effects within human and non-human matter.

More works and contact:
Email: cathyferreira3@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Universiteit Stellenbosch University.

Cathy Ferreira. Object: Three Actants I (salt, water and steel), 2014 - 2015. Coarse non iodized pink salt, steel and glass. 30 x 12 x 12 cm. Photo by: Cathy Ferreira. Cathy Ferreira
Object: Three Actants I (salt, water and steel), 2014 - 2015
Coarse non iodized pink salt, steel and glass
30 x 12 x 12 cm
Photo by: Cathy Ferreira
Cathy Ferreira. Object: Three Actants II (salt, water and steel), 2014 - 2015. Coarse non iodized pink salt, steel and glass. 33 x 6 x 4 cm. Photo by: Cathy Ferreira. Cathy Ferreira
Object: Three Actants II (salt, water and steel), 2014 - 2015
Coarse non iodized pink salt, steel and glass
33 x 6 x 4 cm
Cathy Ferreira. Object: Sculptured Reagent, 2015. Coarse non iodized pink salt and copper. 15 x 28 x 28 cm. Photo by: Cathy Ferreira. Cathy Ferreira
Object: Sculptured Reagent, 2015
Coarse non iodized pink salt and copper
15 x 28 x 28 cm
Cathy Ferreira. Object: Actants I (compartment and reagents), 2014 - 2015. Fine salt, coarse non iodized pink salt, plastic, synthetic threads, copper, steel scrap metal and polyurethane foam casted sterling silver. Various sizes. Photo by: Cathy Ferreira. Cathy Ferreira
Object: Actants I (compartment and reagents), 2014 - 2015
Fine salt, coarse non iodized pink salt, plastic, synthetic threads, copper, steel scrap metal and polyurethane foam casted sterling silver
Various sizes
Cathy Ferreira. Neckpiece: Occhi, 2014. Fine salt, pure cotton perlé thread, steel binding wire. 110 x 2-5 cm. Photo by: Cathy Ferreira. Cathy Ferreira
Neckpiece: Occhi, 2014
Fine salt, pure cotton perlé thread, steel binding wire
110 x 2-5 cm
Cathy Ferreira. Object: Rochelle Salt Crystal Cluster I, 2014. Rochelle salt, copper wire, glass and sterling silver. 7 x 7 x 1.5 cm. Photo by: Cathy Ferreira. Cathy Ferreira
Object: Rochelle Salt Crystal Cluster I, 2014
Rochelle salt, copper wire, glass and sterling silver
7 x 7 x 1.5 cm
Cathy Ferreira. Ring: Salt Crystallize Crochet with a Touch of Copper Ring, 2015. Coarse non iodized pink salt, blank pure cotton perlé thread size 16, copper wire and sterling. Photo by: Cathy Ferreira. Cathy Ferreira
Ring: Salt Crystallize Crochet with a Touch of Copper Ring, 2015
Coarse non iodized pink salt, blank pure cotton perlé thread size 16, copper wire and sterling
Appreciate APPRECIATE