Back

Niamh Duddy. University for the Creative Arts, Rochester. Selected Graduate 2019

Published: 22.10.2019
Niamh Duddy Niamh Duddy
Author:
University for the Creative Arts
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Niamh Duddy. Necklace: Keeping the piece, 2019. Jesmonite, rope, silver.. 39 x 7 x 4 cm. Photo by: Niamh Duddy. Niamh Duddy
Necklace: Keeping the piece, 2019
Jesmonite, rope, silver.
39 x 7 x 4 cm
Photo by: Niamh Duddy
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Niamh’s work is driven by balance and contrast of material and form. Coloured jesmonite blocks are wedged and trapped within silver frameworks, sometimes also utilising the body as part of this frame. Working with a subtle colour palette she creates bold and contrasting forms, with each piece holding its own slightly precarious tension.
/ Lina Peterson, Senior Lecturer Jewellery & Silversmithing.
University for the Creative Arts, Rochester, United Kingdom.

I am a contemporary jeweller from Derry, Northern Ireland. I am intrigued by the relationship that jewellery haves with the body, unlike any other art form jewellery is worn and occupies an intimate space. My current collection ‘Keeping The ‘Piece’ is inspired by my upbringing in Derry and my awareness of the divisions within surrounding communities. Working primarily in jesmonite, if the pieces were all forced into the frames in different directions, they would not stay in place and the piece would all fall apart. However, by created shapes, that when working together, find an equilibrium and work in unison to keep the ‘peace’ together. For me, making is a way of exploring my world, by developing an understanding, a meaning and a creative voice. This collection stemmed from questioning the relationship that jewellery shares with the body and how wearing the jewellery becomes almost a subconscious act.
/ Niamh Duddy, Sept. 2019

Name of graduation student: Niamh Duddy.
Name of the guiding teacher: Lina Peterson.

More work and contact:
Email: nmduddy@gmail.com.
Instagram: Niamh Duddy.

Find out more about the courses at University for the Creative Arts, Rochester, United Kingdom.
Niamh Duddy. Necklace: Keeping the piece, 2019. Jesmonite, rope, silver.. 39 x 7 x 4 cm. Photo by: Niamh Duddy. Alternative view.. Niamh Duddy
Jesmonite, rope, silver.
39 x 7 x 4 cm

Alternative view.

Niamh Duddy. Necklace: Keeping the piece, 2019. Jesmonite, rope, silver.. 39 x 7 x 4 cm. Photo by: Niamh Duddy. On body.. Niamh Duddy
Jesmonite, rope, silver.
39 x 7 x 4 cm

On body.

Niamh Duddy. Ring: Keeping the piece, 2019. Jesmonite, rope, silver.. 5 x 3 x 5 cm. Photo by: Niamh Duddy. Niamh Duddy
Ring: Keeping the piece, 2019
Jesmonite, rope, silver.
5 x 3 x 5 cm
Niamh Duddy. Necklace: Keeping the piece, 2019. Jesmonite, rope, silver.. 39 x 10 x 3 cm. Photo by: Niamh Duddy. Niamh Duddy
Jesmonite, rope, silver.
39 x 10 x 3 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE