Rubén López Rubén López
Author:
Carolin Denter
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
JOYA Barcelona is the main art jewellery and art objects event in Spain. Gathering a great number of independent artists as well as related organizations, schools and other entities, JOYA  prepares to present excellence and innovation in contemporary art. 

JOYA 2018 will happen in October and with the 10th edition taking place. In this fourth interview, we spoke to Jury Member Rubén López, who is Founder of the Art & Craft Gallery "It Reminds Me Of Something" in Barcelona.
In 2012, after spending two years living in London, you started to create different workshops, events and courses with the goal and mission to keep developing the art and craft eco system in Barcelona. In 2013, you founded “It Reminds Me Of Something”, an Art & Craft Gallery supporting and showcasing local artists and craft makers with the goal to offer high quality pieces to the local and international market. In 2018, you are selected as JOYA 2018 Jury Member. Please tell us more about your professional development.
I’ve been an entrepreneur, creating projects in some shape or form since I was young, and through most of my professional life. Always in relation to design, creativity and technology, I’ve been developing different digital agencies and design companies. 
I have always combined this with specific work as a freelance consultant.

As a judge for the 2018 JOYA Award, what do you expect to see? What is the aesthetic specific you are looking for?
High quality pieces by brave and talented artists. A commitment and truth to individual processes and materials. I have always been moved by the power of simplicity and the domain of the craft.

The peculiarities of contemporary jewellery, as well as the larger field that relates art, body and performance, often requires some special attention. In your opinion, which are the most appropriate formats, where contemporary jewellery can be better exposed?
Seen out of context, contemporary jewellery can be very powerful, attracting the attention it deserves. I think the combination of art and jewellery design is a great area to explore.  In the years ahead, POS and showrooms will be evolving with new galleries and it will be very interesting to see how the market can adapt to these new changes. They could really use this ‘peculiarity’ and innovation. 

• I always expect a strong work ethic from the artists, I believe that’s the way to bring great work into the world in their missions.

You represent a diverse group of artists, focusing on artists from Barcelona and its surrounding with specialization in objects. Are these locals somehow related in their artistic practices and what do you look for when considering a new artist/object for your gallery?
I’m focused on emergent artists based in Barcelona, but every now and again I collaborate with other artists from different parts of the world as well. My objective is to try to develop the local art and craft scene with an international perspective.
I always expect a strong work ethic from the artists, I believe that’s the way to bring great work into the world in their missions.  I also find it’s important and useful that artists know their sector, by this I mean that they already have some kind of developed awareness of how and where their work fits. 

The art market is constantly changing, bringing both new opportunities and difficulties to its members. How do you experience the current art market and the Spanish art scene in particular? Do you see a change in the relation between dealer and collectors?
The Spanish art market is only 1% of the global value. I have no data on what that represents in terms of contemporary crafts or just in Catalunya, but that gives us an idea of the challenge we face every year as a gallerist or as an artist.
As a young gallery, we are still developing our collectors and client base and although I really enjoy reaching new collectors and art and craft lovers, everything takes time. It also takes investment, effort and a strong vision, but it is the only way I have found to create a positive impact in my city. Every year contemporary crafts are bringing new interest and new fairs and exhibitions are appearing around the objects, and that is very positive to see and experience. In the years I’ve spent developing our art and craft selection, I have seen just how much locals and international visitors love our talented local artists.

What are the most challenging and rewarding aspects of managing a gallery in the periphery of a big art metropolis such as Barcelona?
The most challeging aspect is to create a space so bold that it makes people want to come and visit the space and to appreciate the artists work, that’s our daily goal. Of course, after that we try to reach the people who want to buy the art works, helping the artists through these sales, giving them an excuse to create more and more work and then to keep creating. To get better and better at what they do.

Can you tell us about the process of curating your exhibitions and how it reflects the vision of your gallery?
I always start with the same idea when curating exhibitions: 
The objective is to give a platform to our artists, somewhere they can bring their best work into the world from the last project they've working on. We want to share it with the goal that after seeing their exhibition, we want to thank them because they have changed us somehow with their work.

About the Interviewed

Rubén López is an entrepreneur, curator, art dealer and collector. He has been part of the creative digital industry in Barcelona since 2002.
In 2012, after spending two years living in London, he started to create different workshops, events and courses with the goal and mission to keep developing the art and craft eco system in Barcelona. In 2013 he founded It Reminds Me Of Something, an Art & Craft Gallery supporting and showcasing local artists and craft makers with the goal to offer high quality pieces to the local and international market.
Appreciate APPRECIATE