Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Karolina Baines. Edinburgh College of Art. New Graduates 2015

Article  /  ArtistsGraduate 2015
Published: 23.06.2015
Karolina Baines. Edinburgh College of Art. New Graduates 2015.
Mail:
karolina.bainesE-mailgmail.com
Author:
Edinburgh College of Art
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Gothenburg
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The exam work of Karolina Baines investigates themes that focus and take inspiration from the architecture of Venice, the living traditions of basketry and weaving and the pleat work of clothing designer Issey Miyake.
Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh, United Kingdom.

Karolina Baines - Currents of Venice
Touch is a fundamental but undervalued dimension of human interaction. It gives weight to a person’s sense of identity and reality. Continuity of touch with overlooked surfaces acts to prompt socially acceptable behaviour in many situations. It is said that our world is becoming devoid of engaging tactile experiences, as surfaces become increasingly standardised and smooth. Jewellery can offer an unexpected relief in the form of stimulating tactile experiences that bring comfort and relieve pressure.  In my research piece I focused on gaining feedback to a series of found objects and enamelled jewellery pieces in order to better understand how they can communicate tactile associations. It was found that while surface textures can be created to consistently evoke similar associations in the perception of the beholder, the responses of the beholder can be unpredictable, often being intensely personal as they stem from individual life experience and personalities. These findings point to the need for the jewellery design process to be intensely personal too, from an interpersonal approach to design, which seeks feedback in tactile handling sessions, to the display where tactile interaction needs to be a large part of the purchase experience with the goal of creating pieces that inspire self-transformation in the wearer.

As a designer, I am motivated by a desire to create engaging visual and tactile experiences. I view jewellery as sculptures that move with us. Reflecting this I look to instil a sense of movement into my work through strategically placed lines, suggesting rhythm and change of direction. Beginning with my drawings, I explore my themes using mark making before using a variety of techniques on metals, including etching to create patterns that fascinate and invite interaction, transfused with deep and vibrant enamelled colours.  For my graduation collection, I drew upon the weaving movements of basketry and the folding techniques of Miyake to develop techniques that suggest movement in my pieces. 

Personally, making jewellery is a way for me to make sense of the ever growing tapestry of life and the way in which the threads of the past intertwine with the present and reach out into the future. Several seemingly unrelated influences are woven through my work, including the architecture and character of Venice, the living traditions of basketry and weaving, and the pleat-work of clothing designer Issey Miyake. I am captivated by the alleyways and many layers of Venice, a patchwork of old and new, where the newer features are built upon the foundations of the ancient.  These are the personal connections that form the basis of my work, which I hope will resonate with others as they form deep connections with items from my collection. 

The exam work of Karolina Baines investigates themes that focus and take inspiration from the architecture of Venice, the living traditions of basketry and weaving and the pleat work of clothing designer Issey Miyake. The juxtaposition of folded sheet forms with linear etched surfaces that are enamelled in rich matt colours. Complex three- dimensional forms in metal sometimes softened by the exploration of textile threads that give a feeling of spontaneity and playfulness.

Not only does the work of Karoline Baines imbue a sophisticated and thoughtful handling of materials but she has the rare creative talent to sensitively capture visual qualities through her drawing and translate these into making. / Susan Cross, Reader Jewellery & Silversmithing, Edinburgh College of Art June 2015

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Edinburgh College of Art
Edinburgh College of Art Jewellery and Silversmithing Degree Show 2015
Karolina Baines. Pendant: Currents of Venice, 2015. Copper, vitreous enamel, cotton thread. 35 x 7 cm. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Karolina Baines
Pendant: Currents of Venice, 2015
Copper, vitreous enamel, cotton thread
35 x 7 cm
Photo by: Shannon Tofts
Karolina Baines. Necklace: Currents of Venice, 2015. Copper, oxidised silver, vitreous enamel, gold leaf, cotton thread. 41 x 24 cm. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Karolina Baines
Necklace: Currents of Venice, 2015
Copper, oxidised silver, vitreous enamel, gold leaf, cotton thread
41 x 24 cm
Karolina Baines. Necklace: Currents of Venice, 2015. Copper, oxidised silver, vitreous enamel, gold leaf, cotton thread. Photo by: Anneleen Lindsay. Make-up artist: Rachael Forbes Model: Kristina Karnilaviciute
.  . Karolina Baines
Copper, oxidised silver, vitreous enamel, gold leaf, cotton thread
Photo by: Anneleen Lindsay
Make-up artist: Rachael Forbes Model: Kristina Karnilaviciute

Karolina Baines. Piece: Currents of Venice, 2015. Copper, vitreous enamel, gold leaf. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Details, work in progress. Karolina Baines
Piece: Currents of Venice, 2015
Copper, vitreous enamel, gold leaf
Details, work in progress
Karolina Baines. Necklace: Currents of Venice, 2015. Copper, vitreous enamel, gold leaf, cotton thread. 40 x 21 cm. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Karolina Baines
Copper, vitreous enamel, gold leaf, cotton thread
40 x 21 cm
Karolina Baines. Vessel: Lines in Motion, 2015. Britannia silver. 14.5 x 14 x 10 cm : 14.5 x 14 x 10 cm. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Karolina Baines
Vessel: Lines in Motion, 2015
Britannia silver
14.5 x 14 x 10 cm : 14.5 x 14 x 10 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE