Legnica International Jewellery Competition 2007
Award / 28 Apr 2007 - 03 Jun 2007
The Gallery of Art in Legnica
- Zbigniew Kraska (director)
(...) Is it possible to REdefine the concepts that aesthetics – a field of philosophy – has failed to define for ages with the help of original jewellery? (...)
Hidden beauty is better than visible one. Heraklit
Beautiful things are difficult. Plato
For beauty includes three conditions: “integritas or perfection”, since those things which are impaired are by that very fact ugly; due “proportion or consonantia”; and lastly “brightness or claritas”, whence things are called beautiful which have a bright colour. St Thomas Aquinas
The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives. Albert Einstein
Absolute and eternal beauty does not exist, or rather it is only an abstraction creamed from the general surface of different beauties. Charles Baudelaire
Beauty inspires awe. Charles Baudelaire
There is certainly no absolute standard of beauty. That precisely is what makes its pursuit so interesting. John Kenneth Galbraith
Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror. Kahlil Gibran
Beauty will be convulsive or will not be at all. André Breton
At Absolute Beauty we believe in providing professional, confidential beauty treatments in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. All our therapists are highly qualified individuals offering the latest methods and techniques available to let that ultimate, beautiful you, shine through. Welcome to Absolute Beauty Salons
Trust not too much to beauty. Virgilius
Beauty. The Absolute. Is it possible to REdefine the concepts that aesthetics – a field of philosophy – has failed to define for ages with the help of original jewellery?
In the recent years – mainly due to the language of communication created by the electronic media – the concept of beauty has become devalued. In the art criticism, beauty has become a synonym for something shallow, superficial and mindless and the latest desperate attempts of American curators (e.g. Donald Kuspit), defining the only possible return to the sources of beauty in art as imitating ”Old Masters”, have given grotesque results. Today’s design – with different effects – also tries to interpret the modern style by referring to craft, traditional techniques and canons of aesthetics and even (it would be regarded as heresy a short time ago) to ornamental and decorative techniques.
The more nostalgia for a sensual, contemplative aesthetic experience there is, the more seldom we can experience that. Questions regarding today’s definitions of beauty are still awaiting convincing, original answers – on the basis of or in opposition to contemporarily and historically grounded aesthetic theories, archetypes and canons and also, regarded as such, stereotypes and superstitions.
Goldsmiths in particular should feel obliged to seek perfect beauty! Let’s try – as far as we can – to write a follow-up to the rich tradition of seeking the aesthetic absolute.
Sławomir Fijałkowski, Giedymin Jabłoński
Date and place of the exhibition
28 April - 3 June 2007
The opening ceremony: 19 May 2007, 6.30 p.m.
Exhibition space: The Gallery of Art in Legnica, Plac Katedralny 1
The Organizers plan to present the exhibition in Poznań, Wrocław, Gdańsk, Kraków, Warszawa and other cities in Poland and abroad.
Aim, task and material
The aim of the exhibition is to present the most interesting accomplishments of contemporary jewellery art. The submitted works should be jewellery in the broad sense of the term, display creativity as well as high standards of design and execution. The Organizers set no restrictions as to the materials and techniques employed but to honour the competition’s over 25-year-long tradition, the inclusion of silver in the work is expected.
Conditions and terms of participation
1. The competition is open to all artists from Poland and abroad.
2. There are no restrictions as to the number of works submitted by a participant, provided that:
– the copyright is with the artist,
– the works are submitted under the artist’s name,
– all the works submitted by the artist can be contained within a case measuring 40 x 40 x 35 cm; by the Organizer’s earlier permission, the arrangements can be made to accept objects of dimensions exceeding those specified above.
3. The artist declaring his or her participation in the competition is obliged to:
– submit the objects, accompanied by a properly filled-in invoice and application form, sent or otherwise delivered (at the artist’s own expense) to the Gallery by the deadline of 6 April 2007 (the deadline concerns the actual arrival of the work, not the postmark)
– send the submitted works in an appropriate and secure packaging that will protect the objects from damage and can be re-used for returning them to the artist.
4. The packages will be opened by a commission.
5. Every participant will make a payment of EUR 30 by 30 April 2007. Payable to the account of the Gallery of Art in Legnica: Bank Zachodni WBK S.A, Oddział w Legnicy, Legnica ul. Gwarna 4, Account No. KOD SWIFT: WBKPPLPPXXX, IBAN: PL 75-1090-2066-0000-0005-4200-0399
6. The works not qualified for the exhibition will be returned at the artist’s expense by 30 July 2007 according to the instructions provided by the artist on the application form.
Download application form
Eureka! The FoC Jewellery & Fellowship Award 202022Oct2020
Friends of Carlotta
LOEWE FOUNDATION Craft Prize 202025Jun2020
Friedrich Becker Prize 202009May2020
Legnica International Jewellery Competition 202009May2020
Gallery of Art in Legnica
Amberif Design Award 202018Mar2020 - 21Mar2020
Gdansk International Fair Co
CANCELED / Talente Competition 202011Mar2020 - 15Mar2020
Internationale Handwerkmesse Munich
Preziosa Young Design Competition 202015Jan2020
Le Arti Orafe
Silver Triennial, 19th International Competition Award27Oct2019
Enjoia't Awards 201912Oct2019
LOEWE FOUNDATION Craft Prize 201925Jun2019
JPLUS Emerging Talent Award 2019 by Klimt0228May2019 - 31Oct2019
Gioielli in Fermento Award 2019 9th edition12May2019 - 31May2019
Castel San Giovanni, Italy
Legnica International Jewellery Competition 201910Apr2019 - 11Apr2019
Gallery of Art in Legnica
Amberif Design Award 201920Mar2019 - 23Mar2019
Gdansk International Fair Co.
Talente Competition 201913Mar2019 - 17Mar2019
Internationale Handwerkmesse Munich