Back

Through my jewellery I feel the responsibility and the need to reflect on social events, politic facts, or even caricature situations. Leonor Silva interviewed by Klimt02

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 11.07.2019
Leonor Silva Leonor Silva
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Leonor Silva. Necklace: Chariot, 2019. Sterling silver, doll dresses.. 10 x 14 cm. Photo by: Ricardo Lamy. From series: Oh… My God!!! I Can’t Resist!. Alternative view.The beauty stereotypes and the irresistible styling world in feminine generational patterns.. Leonor Silva
Necklace: Chariot, 2019
Sterling silver, doll dresses.
10 x 14 cm
Photo by: Ricardo Lamy
From series: Oh… My God!!! I Can’t Resist!

Alternative view.
The beauty stereotypes and the irresistible styling world in feminine generational patterns.

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Working a jewel through the manual process gives it a unique identity. It is a force that makes it exclusive. It is a legacy of emotions and history that gives it character.
What's local and universal in your artistic work?
My work has always a universal mission. Through my jewellery I feel the responsibility and the need to reflect on social events, politic facts, or even caricature situations that surprise me and are part of our daily lives. This need for sharing that I do with all, those who come across my jewellery pieces, gives me this level of universality. The interpretation I make of these events is something very personal, very exclusive, that characterizes my identity and my artistic expression.

What do you expect when you show your work to the public (for example, with an exhibition)?
Above all, I like to stimulate emotions, to cause reactions, and to bring themes to debate. So it was with my Survival Kit collection, in which I worked the women skills; in Happy Birthday Mr. President Choker’s showing how women fragility can become a force against male chauvinismo; on the Hope brooch where I thought about the end of the refugee camps; or Oh... my God! I Can’t Resist collection where I question the beauty stereotypes that irresistibly manipulate us. When I think of the origin of the word Jewel, from Latin, Jocalis, which causes pleasure, fun, play, I feel that my work reflects in full its mission.

How important is the handmade for you in your development? What role does technics and technology play in your development?
Working a jewel through the manual process gives it a unique identity. It is a force that makes it exclusive. It is a legacy of emotions and history that gives it character. It is in this assumption that I created my brand Leonor Silva Jewellery and I think that is my way of dignifying Author’s Jewellery.
Technology is fundamental in the development of any area, but when we speak of art, its existence in the creation process must be devoid of protagonism and dependence. The artist must be completely free and not reliant on technology to express his artistic value.

When you start making a new piece what is your process? How much of it is a pre formulated plan and how much do you let the material spontaneity lead you?
What moves me in creating a new piece is always the theme. After that, the deconstruction of what surrounds me is always the first step. Then the forms and materials begin to emerge by their force, by their character, as facilitating elements to get the message I want. Finally, I always question how surprising and readable it is. Instinctively this is always my creative process.

How important is wearability in contemporary jewellery? And in your pieces?
I believe that contemporary Jewelery should be something free that allows us to work without the barrier of wearability. This freedom has always been present throughout history and objects detailed in precious or semi-precious metal are present in the various civilizations with several associated functions. However, in my work, wearability is a very important condition. My pieces must be usable, for only thus do they fulfil the function of adornment, of the amulet, as we understand it throughout our History.

Can you describe your personality in 3 words, describe your work in 3 words.
My personality in 3 words: Humor, Energy and Persistence.
My Work in 3 words: Humor, Passion and Character.

Leonor Silva. Set: Survival Kit Collection, 2017. Sterling silver.. Photo by: António Medeiros. Leonor Silva
Set: Survival Kit Collection, 2017
Sterling silver.
Photo by: António Medeiros
Leonor Silva. Choker: Happy Birthday Mr. President, 2017. Sterling silver with patina, zirconia. 6 x 3 x 36 cm. Photo by: António Medeiros. Leonor Silva
Choker: Happy Birthday Mr. President, 2017
Sterling silver with patina, zirconia
6 x 3 x 36 cm
Photo by: António Medeiros
Appreciate APPRECIATE