Back
Joya 2017 skyscraper.
Goldmuseum Taipei - Metal Crafts Competition 2018.
Hochschule Idar Oberstein.
Goldschmitte.

Liana Pattihis, Joya 2017 jury member interviewed by Klimt02

Interview  /  Artists   JOYA 2017
Published: 05.05.2017
Liana Pattihis, Joya 2017 jury member interviewed by Klimt02.
Author:
Viktorija Domarkaite
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

Intro
When I am creating, I strive to make pieces that are pleasing to my eye and that speak to my heart. I think my perception will be similar when judging...

Liana Pattihis is part of the jury members for JOYA 2017 (9th Edition) which will held at the Arts Santa Monica from 5th to 7th October.

What aspect of your creative process do you believe to be most important and why?
For me the most important aspect is the unpredictability, the element of surprise. The versatility of the enamel as a material is what gives each piece I create its own unique identity and an organic feel which cannot be replicated or reproduced.

How has being the winner of Joya 2016 influenced your jewellery career? 
It is always gratifying to have one’s work appreciated and rewarded, especially by an established and acknowledged fair like Joya. It has created a platform for my work to be exposed on a much wider scale and has granted me the opportunity to continue my creative journey with more confidence. During Joya 2012, Ursula Newman, curator of MAD Museum in New York, was invited by the organising committee to speak at the conference and her subsequent visit to the fair resulted in one of my pieces being part of the museum’s permanent collection.

Is there a particular aspect you will concentrate on while jurying at Joya Barcelona?
I am curious to see the motivation and the story behind each piece and the way the artist is able to translate it successfully into their piece of contemporary jewellery.

How does the perception to creations differ from working in the field to being part of a jury for it?
When I am creating, I strive to make pieces that are pleasing to my eye and that speak to my heart. I think my perception will be similar when judging.

What are the main things attracting people to attend this year’s Joya scene?
To meet and interact with a diverse, original and imaginative group of artists, with amazing work to match!

JOYA has promoted artists with a selection of the best representatives of the art jewellery field, what do you think it takes to be the best?
Acknowledging that when one reaches a goal, that doesn’t signify the end but the beginning of something exciting and new to pursue and so on.

Liana Pattihis. Necklace: 'Adapted Patterns' Installation Necklace 01, 2011.
Silver, enamel. 64 - 203 cm long.
Private Collection, Museum of Arts and Design (MAD), New York

Appreciate APPRECIATE