BKV Prize 2019 for young applied arts. Call for Applications
Open call / 23 Apr 2018 - 27 Jul 2018
Internationale Handwerkmesse Munich
- 0049 89 29 01 470
One of the main objectives of the BKV is to promote the younger generation of artists, i.e. to financially support the professional and artistic development of young artisans through publications and by means of expert assistance. The BKV Prize was therefore created in 2006 and is awarded once a year.
The competition is aimed specifically at young artisans who have completed their professional training and are beginning their careers. The competition is international and covers all areas of applied arts.
The prize is awarded to works that show unique artistic creation based on fine craftsmanship.
• First Prize: € 3.000,- + Catalogue (German/English)
• 2nd Prize: € 2.000,- + Catalogue (German/English)
• 3rd Prize: € 1.000,- + Catalogue (German/English)
• The three prize winners receive a joint catalogue (German/English)
• Additionally, all prize winners will be honored with a complimentary three year membership in the BKV.
• All works of the finalists and prize winners will be exhibited during the award ceremony at the Internationale Handwerksmesse, IHM Munich, Special Exhibition “Handwerk & Design” and afterward in the Gallery for Applied Arts (Galerie für Angewandte Kunst).
• Entry deadline: July 27, 2018
• Award ceremony: March 16, 2019, The award ceremony will be held at the Internationale Handwerksmesse in Munich.
Works are selected in two stages:
1st stage: Photo jury
The following must be submitted by July 27, 2018:
• Completed application form
See information on conditions of entry on page 4 or at www.bayerischer kunstgewerbeverein.de
• Competition entry (images of 3 to a max. 5 different pieces of work).
See information on conditions of entry on page 3 or at www.bayerischer kunstgewerbeverein.de
• Application documents are to be sent by post to:
Bayerischer Kunstgewerbeverein e.V.
Pacellistraße 6-8 80333 München/Munich, Germany
The jury will select the works to be presented to the object jury based on the images submitted.
2nd stage: Object jury
The artisans selected in the first stage will be notified in writing and asked to send in their works. The jury will decide on the award based on the works submitted. The jury decides independently, and entrants will be notified of the decision in writing. The jury decision is final and is not based on specific criteria.
Bavarian Crafts Council (Bayerischer Kunstgewerbeverein e.V.)
Founded in 1851, the Bavarian Crafts Council (Bayerischer Kunstgewerbeverein or BKV) looks back on 160 years of history. Today, it is a professional association for the promotion of contemporary crafts with around 400 members. Located in the centre of Munich, BKV maintains a forum for ARTS + CRAFTS, which consists of the “Gallery for Applied Arts” (Galerie für Angewandte Kunst) and a spacious shop with a wide range of contemporary works of art. The Bavarian Crafts Council also participates in a number of trade fairs.
ConditionsConditions of participation
1. Artisans who have not yet reached 35 years of age by the cut-off date (January 1, 2019).
2. Entrants must have completed their training and be professionally engaged in fine craftsmanship.
3. The entry must consist of 3 (maximum 5) pieces of work. These must not be older than 2 years as of the cut-off date (January 1, 2019) and must not have been awarded a prize or exhibited in any other competition.
4. The required documentation must be submitted to the Bayerischer Kunstgewerbeverein in Munich no later than July 27, 2018.
5. Delivery and return transport are undertaken at the expense and risk of the entrant.
Required documentation must be submitted via post by July 27, 2018 to the Bayerischer Kunstgewerbeverein in Munich and should be addressed as follows: “BKV-Prize 2019”, Pacellistraße 6-8, 80333 München/Munich, Germany. Submitted material cannot be returned.
1. Completed application form
The fully completed application form (please use typescript) with all address details (see page 4).
2. Biographical details
Text files should be submitted on CD-ROM (do not use stickers or labels); all texts must be submitted as PDF files. Biographical details should include the following: date and place of birth, training and qualifications, professional career, individual and group exhibitions, publications, and awards.
3. Images of the competition entries (3 max. 5 different works).
Image data should be submitted on CD-ROM; all images must be submitted as JPG files. Images must measure at least 10 x 15 cm with a resolution of at least 300 dpi. The filenames of each image must contain the entrant’s name, title of work, and sequence number. Please enclose DIN A4 color prints of each image.
4. Image descriptions of competition entries
Text files should be submitted on CD-ROM; all texts must be submitted as PDF files. The image descriptions should be comprised of two documents: the application document, containing the entrant’s name, detailed address, phone number and date of birth, and the description document on a neutral sheet of paper, containing the title of each work with the date of creation, material, technique, size, and name of photographer.
Transport and insurance
Delivery and return of the works are undertaken at the expense and risk of the entrant. The works will be insured while on the premises of the BKV. The insurance value should be provided upon delivery.
Entries from non EU-countries
The declaration of value must be in EURO. Works must be declared as exhibition objects.
Internationale Handwerkmesse Munich
- 0049 89 29 01 470
Open Call for a Juried Exhibition: Shapeshifters17Jan2019 - 17Feb2019
Rhode Island School of Design
Providence, United States
Open Call: Position for an Assistant in Jewellery and Object Design at Hochschule Trier08Nov2018 - 22Nov2018
Idar Oberstein, Germany
Open Call: Position for Professor of Crafts Specialising in Jewellery Art02Nov2018 - 20Dec2018
HDK. Academy of Design and Crafts
Open Call for abstracts: WoSoF 1st World Symposium for Fashion, Jewellery, Accessories25Oct2018 - 10Nov2018
College of Design and Innovation, Tong Ji University
Open Call: Position for a Technician to Support the Creative Arts Team at Sheffield Hallam University04Oct2018 - 14Oct2018
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Open Call for Exhibitions at Art Centre East in Lappeenranta, Finland26Sep2018 - 15Oct2018
Open Call for Designers in Residence in Pforzheim 201820Sep2018 - 15Nov2018
EMMA – Kreativzentrum
Open Call for a Curated or Thematic group at Radiant Pavilion17Sep2018 - 07Oct2018
Open Call for a Juried Exhibition: Heart Failure13Sep2018 - 17Oct2018
Open Call for a Juried exhibition: Aurum, The Golden Year10Sep2018 - 01Nov2018
SNAG. Society of North American Goldsmiths
Eugene, United States
Open Call for Proposals at Radiant Pavilion: Melbourne Contemporary Jewellery and Object Biennial 201910Sep2018 - 07Oct2018
Open Call: Position for an Executive Director at Art Jewelry Forum26Aug2018 - 30Nov2018
Art Jewelry Forum
San Francisco, United States
Open Call for the Curated exhibition ...LIÉ.E.S...13Aug2018 - 15Jan2019
Galerie Art Course
Open Call: Position for a Lecturer in Jewellery at Middlesex University London01Aug2018 - 20Aug2018
London, United Kingdom
Open Call: Position for a Part Time Object & Jewellery Practical Assistant01Aug2018 - 15Aug2018
PXL-MAD School of Arts