Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Jizhi Gigi Li. Academy of Art University. New Graduates 2015

Article  /  ArtistsGraduate 2015
Published: 17.06.2015
Jizhi Gigi Li. Academy of Art University. New Graduates 2015.
Mail:
jli25gigiE-mailgmail.com
Author:
Academy of Art University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Gothenburg
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Based on deep and thoughtful acceptance of painful personal experience, Gigi’s thesis creates a narrative thread that raises questions about the blurred struggle between unwanted attention and the premium placed on desired attention.
Academy of Art University, San Francisco, USA.

Jizhi "Gigi" Li - Perfectly Imperfect
I make wearable jewelry and sculptural objects based on my concept of the “perfectly imperfect”. Body ornamentation is often used to distract attention from the imperfections and flaws in our bodies. When I was 17, I became paralyzed for a short period of time. The temporary paralysis of my legs left me with an incomplete body, and this unpleasant experience made me think about the fuzzy boundary between perfection and imperfection. I was broken, yet I still had intrinsic value. Since then, I have often felt that people judge themselves harshly because of their physical defects. Such damaged ego drives people to overly decorate themselves. I use body ornamentation to express and highlight such phenomena.

My graduate thesis pieces are inspired by picture frames and ornamental objects. The narrative forms trigger me to use various media, such as different metals, porcelain, cement, and other diverse materials in order to convey various emotions. My current series consists of fragments using traditional ornate frames. The artistic intention is to frame parts of the body to redecorate their imperfections. To challenge the wearability of classic jewelry, my pieces are wearable, but only on unusual parts of the body. I place a particular emphasis on the body’s flaws, thereby showing the individuality and unique life story of the viewers.

To me, ornamentation is an expression of awareness of imperfections. My concept rejects the traditional ornamental role of jewelry. Picture frames on the body represent embellishments and perfection. The wearer is imperfect. By framing a part of the body, there is a sense of dark humor and irony, unpleasant and painful, which twists the traditional sense of jewelry.

Obsession and addiction to personal and cultural ideals of beauty are presented with absolute probity and elegance in Jizhi Gigi Li’s thesis “Perfectly Imperfect.”
 Based on deep and thoughtful acceptance of painful personal experience, Gigi’s thesis creates a narrative thread that raises questions about the blurred struggle between unwanted attention and the premium placed on desired attention. Then, upon deeper investigation, this deceptively beautiful body of work also presents how, hand in hand, the initial questions give rise to the nettling fear of rejection determined by one’s appearance.  Lastly, it poignantly asks exactly what is it that determines the “ideal,” what influences inform the responses to this question, and how does one turn one’s back and escape to find one’s unique and personal answers
. / Charlene Modena, Director School of Jewelry and Metal Arts, June 2015

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Academy of Art University

Jizhi Li. Body piece: Look At My Butt, 2014. Cement, plaster, color pigment, silver, rubber band. Photo by: Jizhi Li. Jizhi Li
Body piece: Look At My Butt, 2014
Cement, plaster, color pigment, silver, rubber band
Photo by: Jizhi Li
Jizhi Li. Piece: Look At My Face, 2015. Silver, brass, bronze. Photo by: Jizhi Li. Jizhi Li
Piece: Look At My Face, 2015
Silver, brass, bronze
Jizhi Li. Head Piece: Look At My Face, 2015. Silver, brass, bronze. Photo by: Jizhi Li. Jizhi Li
Head Piece: Look At My Face, 2015
Silver, brass, bronze
Jizhi Li. Head Piece: Look At My Face, 2015. Silver, brass, bronze. Photo by: Jizhi Li. Jizhi Li
Head Piece: Look At My Face, 2015
Silver, brass, bronze
Jizhi Li. Body piece: Leg Adornment, 2015. Photo by: Jizhi Li. Jizhi Li
Body piece: Leg Adornment, 2015
Jizhi Li. Bracelet: Arm Adornment, 2015. Fine Silver, enamel, silver plate, copper, brass. Photo by: Jizhi Li. Jizhi Li
Bracelet: Arm Adornment, 2015
Fine Silver, enamel, silver plate, copper, brass
Jizhi Li. Body piece: Leg Adornment, 2015. Fine Silver, enamel, silver plate, copper, brass. Photo by: Jizhi Li. Jizhi Li
Body piece: Leg Adornment, 2015
Fine Silver, enamel, silver plate, copper, brass
Appreciate APPRECIATE